Skip to main content

Porting Squawk to processor XYZ

1 reply [Last post]
omaye

Hi,

which are the minimum system requirements that a processor/target platform should fulfill in order to successfully port the Squawk VM to it?

Actually, I consider TI's MSP430-F5438. Nominally, it has e.g. 256KB Flash and 16KB RAM. Does anybody know of a Squawk-port for MSP430? Actually, I intend to use GCC which does not know of TI's "X-Architecture", and, hence, may address 64KB Flash, only..... Is this still ok for Squawk?

What are the (general) limits? I guess, memory is only one of them - 512, 256, 64KB ...?

And: Is there some kind of porting guide for Squawk? This would definitely be helpfull...

Best regards

Oliver.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
derek_white

We don't have experience with the MSP430. Currently we have had Squawk ported to using a little more than 256KB of flash and slightly more than 32KB of RAM. Using 16-bit pointers will be a problem, because the suite file format is essentially a serialized object graph, with many interior pointers to classes, methods, strings, etc.