Skip to main content

Error 'undifined reference to 'vtable for XXX' when cross compiling pheoneMe fearture MR4

2 replies [Last post]
alexjingsi

<br />
hello,
When I tried to port the phoneMe feature mr4 to linux-arm, some annoying problems occured as below:
linking ../bin/cldc_vm_g ...
../bin/libcldc_vm_g.a(_MergedSrc002.o): In function `BinaryAssemblerCommon':/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/src/vm/share/compiler/CompilerState.hpp:76: undefined reference to `vtable for BinaryAssemblerCommon'
../bin/libcldc_vm_g.a(_MergedSrc003.o): In function `JVMConcatenatedStream':/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/src/vm/share/utilities/CharacterStream.hpp:260: undefined reference to `vtable for JVMConcatenatedStream'
../bin/libcldc_vm_g.a(_MergedSrc003.o): In function `JVMUnicodeStream':/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/src/vm/share/utilities/CharacterStream.hpp:217: undefined reference to `vtable for JVMUnicodeStream'
../bin/libcldc_vm_g.a(_MergedSrc004.o): In function `~JVMBytecodePrintClosure':/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/src/vm/share/handles/Method.cpp:2959: undefined reference to `vtable for JVMBytecodePrintClosure'
../bin/libcldc_vm_g.a(_MergedSrc004.o): In function `JVMBytecodePrintClosure':/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/src/vm/share/utilities/BytecodePrintClosure.hpp:40: undefined reference to `vtable for JVMBytecodePrintClosure'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../bin/cldc_vm_g] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/build_output_arm/cldc/linux_arm_926/target/debug'
make[1]: *** [_debug] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zzh/workspace/kvm2009/cldc/build/linux_arm_926'
I use the source code of phoneme_feature-mr4-rel-src-b01-20_apr_2009, JDK version is j2sdk1.4.2_15, using gcc-3.4.3-csl-uClibc-0.9.30-softvfp(made by self), and the platform is linux-arm, using Directfb-1.2.9.
Did anyone meet with the same problems before? If so, I'd appreciate it if any valuable information is offered, thanks.
<br />

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
pavelp

Hi Alex,

Please try to make ConcatenatedStream, BytecodePrintClosure and UnicodeStream constructors non inline and define them in the cpp files. And see if the corresponding errors disappear.

Regards,

Pavel

alexjingsi

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your quick reply, and I've tried this already, another 7 more errors like these were fixed, but these 5 errors remained too.

Fortunately, I've found the solution to this issue in a nother page in this forum, the link is below:

http://www.java.net/node/703994

It seems that compiling the phoneme mr4 in debug mode always cause this error, and it disappears in product or release mode.

However, instead of modifing the root.make, I change the command "make" to "make product" when compiling the CLDC part, and it works!

I've googled for this issue, the reason of this error may be a bug of the gcc as it says below:

http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#vtables

Further discussion is available below:

http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/cpp/threads/114299

Regards,

Alex