Skip to main content

Two clients and Live Tuning

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
3 replies [Last post]
howardteece

I've seen this on occasion but don't know if it really is a defect and I don't have a log handy.

1. Start a UPnP client and tune to a known channel.
2. Wait a while, say one minute.
3. Start a second client and tune to the same channel.

The second client plays back OK, but from whenever the first client started. So if there is a five minute gap between the two, then the second client displays video that is five minutes behind the first. I would expect them to be synchronous.

Have you seen anything like this? I can see there could be a problem with TSB sharing and when the client doesn't provide any range information in the request.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
smallman

Trying to reproduce on PC using RiExerciser, but no success.

On the Server PC run RiExerciser and publish all channels. Wait five minutes.
On the Player PC, run RiExerciser and select a channel. It displays and lags the server by a second or so.
On another Player PC, also run RiExerciser and select the same channel. All three RiExrercisers video synched to within a second or so.

Running Windows 7, from trunk, RI rev 35017.

howardteece

Maybe RiExerciser is being too nice with it's headers.

If you try using wget on the stream, which mimics the dumb players we're using quite well, then I think you can see the same thing.

It's something we can reproduce, but I have to get hold of a Samsung series 7 TV to get a log.

cpratt

I would be curious to know if the same thing occurs if the UPnP client tunes to a channel that has already started buffering locally...