Skip to main content

Some POD events cause NPE

4 replies [Last post]
tgwozdz

Whenever I send a CableCARD Inserted or Removed event through the POD, I get a NullPointerException in PodImpl.updateJavaSystemProperties because it tries to set several properties to null. Since the properties are backed with a Hashtable, this isn't allowed. What should the code be doing in this case?
Thanks!

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
tgwozdz

Created Issue 346 (https://ocap-ri.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=346). The relevant properties are:
ocap.cablecard.manufacturer
ocap.cablecard.version
ocap.cablecard.identifier
ocap.cablecard.vct-id

greg80303

Yeah, I see that we are setting them to null -- oops. Please create an IssueTracker issue for this and I will get it fixed up right away.
The spec doesn't really say what these properties should be set to when a CableCARD is not present -- I will probably just set them to the empty string.
G

cpratt

It should also be noted that the RI technically doesn't support card-less operation (removal or insertion), as described in OCAP section 20.2.1.3/20.2.1.4.
e.g. XAIT-signalled apps and such should be terminated on card removal and host applications may be launched.
A Host using the RI (as implemented today) should re-initialize the RI on CC removal if any base functionality host apps (e.g. WatchTV) are implemented as OCAP xlets. It should do the same on re-insertion to cause the RI to load signaled applications. Essentially this performs the "Initialize the OCAP environment" steps illustrated in Figure 20-1.

mkorzen

Can you specify which properties are being set to null and causing NPEs?