Skip to main content

RecordingFailedException with reason RESOURCES_REMOVED

11 replies [Last post]
kpradeep

As per OCAP DVR Spec section "6.2.1.1.3.3 Resource Requirements" Table 6-2, when access to the media storage volume is removed RecordingFailedException with reason code RESOURCES_REMOVED is generated.
When removeAccess(String organization) method of MediaStorageVolume is used, RecordingFailedException with reason code INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES is generated. But as per the spec the reason code should be RESOURCE_REMOVED. Is this an issue with RI?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
cpratt

Yes - I believe this change was missed as part of the ECN-1076 implementation - which added section 6.2.1.1.3.3.
Go ahead and file a bug for this. It looks like a straight-forward fix.

tarunra

Hi All,
INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES is reported for 3 other scenarios as well:
1. When RecordingManager.disableBuffering() is called, and there is a background recording happening, and is in IN_PROGRESS STATE. disableBuffering() will stop the recording and will report the RecordingFailedException with failure reason as INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES.
2. If XAIT is received with a new IMA (InitialMonitorApp) pending to launch and there is no InitialMonitorApp currently running. In that case, it will stop the ongoing recording with failure reason set to INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES and will restart the app.
3. While launching IMA, if the new state is reported as NOT_LOADED, it will stop the ongoing recording with failure reason set to INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES and will restart the app.
Could you please confirm, if the above said behaviour is as expected, or should the reason be RESOURCES_REMOVED?
Thanks,
Tarun

kpradeep

Thanks

tarunra

Could someone please clarify the above doubt regarding 3 other scenarios, where INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES is reported?

cpratt

In the context of DVR, Section 6.2.1.1.3.3 (Resource Requirements) provides the most clarity regarding the application of the RecordingFailedException codes.
[see table 6-2 from OCAP DVR I06]
With the following catch-all language: "Except where otherwise specified, INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES SHALL be considered a non-specific reason."
Since disabling of buffering via OcapRecordingManager.disableBuffering() is not in this list, this language requires INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES reason to be recorded/reported.
[This is probably moot, however, as I don't believe recording is supposed to be terminated due to a call to disableBuffering() - since the javadoc states: "If an implementation uses time-shift buffering for recording creation it MAY segment the recording." This definitely implies to me that recording continues. I will file a bug for this.]

cpratt

I'll get you an answer for (1) later today.

svikrant

For 1) when disable buffering is callled. Why the recording should stop ? This is a separate USE of TSW (TSWUSE_RECORDING) which should exist independently and should not get affected if we disable buffering. I feel recording should continue if user disables buffering.

tarunra

While setting the failure reason for failed recording, should we overwrite the reason set earlier?
Or, should we check if the reason already set is REASON_NOT_KNOWN, then only overwrite with the new failure reason?
Please, clarify.

svikrant

I think the recording failed reason should always give the last reason which caused the recording to discontinue. Is it not so ?
If Not, Is there any concept of priority among the RECORDING_FAILED_EXCEPTIONS ?

tarunra

Hi All,
Could someone please clarify the above doubt?

cpratt

Sorry for dropping out of the conversation there. I stopped receiving forum notifications for some reason.
There isn't a concept of priorities certainly. According to section 6.2.1.1.3.3 of OCAP DVR I06:
. "The implementation SHOULD record the most specific reason code in a generated org.ocap.shared.dvr.RecordingFailedException."
The RI currently sets the RFE to the first failure encountered. While this isn't technically against spec (since this is a SHOULD), this should probably be corrected.
I think this makes the most sense. Presumably, an application will examine the exception upon seeing a RecordingRequest go into the FAILED or IN_PROGRESS_WITH_ERROR states and expect the RFE to reflect the condition that caused the state transition.
I'll file a bug against the RI to change its behavior to be compliant with the above text. If anyone feels this should be a SHALL, please chime in.