Skip to main content

Why Arabic font wrongly showing in nokia mobiles?

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
7 replies [Last post]
bhakki

I have used TextArea for showing Arabic fonts. In emulator, its working properly. There is no issue when I tested into emualor(sun java toolkit). But I have tested some nokia mobiles(n79, e63). Here arabic letter's are showing wrongly. For example, this is the correct format of arabic font

أَشهَدُ . This arabic font showing properly on an emulator. But in the mobile, this same arabic font showing like this,

.أَشهد

I'm using font type as System#Bold#Large. Not only this font, many fonts showing wrongly in the mobiles. I'm using localization(L10N) for storing Arabic letter's. Also find the attachment for my problem.

AttachmentSize
2.PNG68.63 KB

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vprise

As mohsenof said uQuoran is indeed in LWUIT and so are quite a few Arabic applications. Unfortunately I don't speak/read Arabic so I'm not exactly sure what isn't working properly.

What I can say is that LWUIT invokes drawString in the native graphics object directly and doesn't modify the string.

bhakki

vprise wrote:
As mohsenof said uQuoran is indeed in LWUIT and so are quite a few Arabic applications.....

Thanks vprise. My problem also same. I dont know Arabic. I have checked uQuoran application. They have Arabic letter's as images in ResourceEdit and used these images for showing arabic words. Can you give me Is there any other solutions if knows?

vprise

I'm afraid I'm a bit ill equipped to answer this issue. I suggest you might turn it to the Nokia forum where some Arabic speakers might be able to help.

mohsenof

Have you seen uQuran before? It is built using LWUIT too.

If not, install it on your nokia mobiles and see if it works or not? maybe they can give some advice

If you find any solution please send it back so others can use it too.

bhakki

Yeah. Its working fine. Is that application use the LWUIT? In my application, I dont understand why its showing wrongly.

mohsenof

yes, uQuran uses LWUIT.

1- Have you tested your app on other handsets (i.e. SonyEricsoon or Samsung)?

2- What are these vowels (fathah, kasrah, zammah) called in english? Are they called tanwin? to have better searches we need to know their names

3- try to contact developers of uQuran and ask for help. I noticed tha Bandar Raffah is its designer. Maybe you can get some help specially if you know arabic.

I hope you can find the solution.

let us know what you find

bhakki

Thanks mohsenof and thanks again for your idea's. I have tested some samsung mobiles. but most of the samsung mobiles not supported arabic font and i already discussed on this issue on stackoverflow fourm(stackoverflow.com/questions/7859879/why-arabic-font-not-supported-in-samsung-mobiles-using-lwuit). I just reading an Arabic words from ResourceEdit localization(L10N) and show that Arabic words in TextArea. But some words are showing wrongly when I showing. In sun toolkit everything perfect. I'm facing this issue when i tested into nokia emulators and nokia mobiles. I want to know why its happened an Is there any problem for localization on ResourceEdit?