Skip to main content

LWUIT Desktop build, how to deal with things like Wireless Messaging?

3 replies [Last post]

If I build a desktop version of my app it crashes due to no wireless messaging library available, how do I deal with this? I actually dont need that library, and I understand that it would crash, but I still want to be able to run the program to demo it - so how do I get aroudn that? Also does IO, RMS etc work? Again how to deal with it. In this instance my mobile app allows user to enters details that are saved as XML to the SDCARD in the mobile, but the mobile entry system is tedious, so client would like a desktop build so that users can if they wish enter all the data on their PC in the desktop version, then move this XML file to the mobile, is that possible?

Thanks in advance..

Gaz

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vprise

We currently don't offer an abstraction to messaging, GPS etc. but we intend to offer abstractions for all platform API's in the future to ease porting for every platform.

Until that point I recommend doing something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7992262/lwuit-use-of-peercomponent

Unfortnuately I cant get either of these options to work - preprocessors simply wont work on anormal project only j2me, try it out its not possible :-( and makign the interfaces i tried, each time i implemented one thing it lead to another and another, would take forever, even using microemu src wasnt helping, if there some simple way to avoid it trying to load the wma classes etc? id love to output a desktop version..

EDIT:

I foudn that by adding jars from wtk/libs dir it managed to bypass the runtime errors, I wasnt expecting it but I tried - it crashes when it hits that code so I simply use a boolean to stop the desktop one hitting sms code or rms code etc, very cool indeed!! I expect using microemu code could be good to keep rms functioning etc..

Some notes here: http://radiantsilverlabs.com/content/making-lwuit-15-desktop-builds-jsrs-actually-work

Only annoying thing is focus on desktop one seems weird, takes 2 presses to get out of a textfield and to another, and also using tab should work like windows focus if possible.

*Brain wave* How cool would it be to have Windows, Linux, OSX themes available so that when you build a desktop version of the app you can have it use the right theme... essentially it would be making "native" apps for desktop too.. LWUIT I love you, now wjust got to find a theme or make one :-)