Skip to main content

is LWUIT compatible with S40 6thEd FP1

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
5 replies [Last post]
ajonnet

S40 latest edition has come up with TouchAndType which allows support for gestures like Flick, Drop, Drag etc.
The API provided, seems to be operable with Low level UI elements like Canvas.
How can we utilize these features along with LWUIT?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vprise

This works with LWUIT out of the box, LWUIT always had touch gesture support and even has its own fully customizable VKB.

ajonnet

Yes, touch is there. But i am particularly trying to capture Flick Gesture which has been provisioned in S40 6th ed FP1 API.
They have provided a new Gesture API to which we have to register our View object(canvas).

I tried out passing container, form but it eneded up with illegalArgumentException.

Can you please guide on how to get the View register so we can get this Flick event.

Anyway, Thanks for heading up with most of my queries.

vprise

We don't support that, Samsung also ofered something like that in the past but usually the vendor API's aren't convenient to integrate.
I don't understand why you would need to capture that event? You get the desired result from LWUIT by default.
In theory you can always derive GameCanvasImplementation and do whatever you want with the native underlying platform but that would break portability for this case.

ajonnet

Actually i am dealing with number of interactable similar components which user scrolls through as user desires. LWUIT itself is quite complete to provide all the functionalities required, but i need take advantage of what platform is explicilty providing in a best effort manner.
At the moment user uses middle button whenever he needs to move to next component. But we are trying build more rich user exprience by combining the Slide Transition and the Flick Gesture, which would be an additional way for user to interact with the application. So that user can navigate between various component just by Flicking in the desirable direction.
Flick itself is a special case of dragging. I think in LWUIT it has been implemented in List component to some extent, but has not been exposed explicitly for use with component in general. Please point me if i am wrong.
I am sure that Flick is a softcoded thing and can be implemented in LWUIT also. It would more great if there is an easy way in LWUIT to take advantage of features provided by Platfrom.

vprise

LWUIT allows you to take advantage of platform specific features by deriving the appropriate implementation class and doing whatever you want, quite a few samples of this exist both in LWUIT ports and in LWUIT itself (e.g. SVG support or the LWUIT chat's support of emoticons).
All components implement gesture support not just the list, this is exposed partially via protected methods in Component and Display e.g.:
Display's getDragSpeed(), setDragStartPercentage()
Components isDragActivated(), dragInitiated()
For deeper customization see the somewhat old post here:
http://lwuit.blogspot.com/2008/07/motion-madness-physics-gone-wild.html