Skip to main content

How to set a form background to a live video?

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
3 replies [Last post]
hotszkin

Hi All,

I am going to develop a ip cam application. What I want to do is on top of the live video, I will place some ptz function widgets(button/list/checkbox,etc) on it. Is this possible with lwuit?

Thanks

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vprise

This is really more of an MMAPI capture API question. Right now the VideoComponent has some issues and Chen is rewriting it for Codename One. People got it to work with Camera's but then you will have the issue of the capture API being what it is. Read a bit about MMAPI and its limitations to figure out if it can work for you or wait for Codename One where we will have a more robust media API for all platforms.

hotszkin

vprise wrote:

This is really more of an MMAPI capture API question. Right now the VideoComponent has some issues and Chen is rewriting it for Codename One. People got it to work with Camera's but then you will have the issue of the capture API being what it is. Read a bit about MMAPI and its limitations to figure out if it can work for you or wait for Codename One where we will have a more robust media API for all platforms.

Hi vprise,

I don't need capture function, I only need to use VideoComponent to play the live streaming from a remote video server. I want to know how can I place some widgets on top of the VideoComponent (like the attached photo). And, If I can set the VideoComponent as a background of a form. It will be easy for me to turn the video on/off the screen.

vprise

Video playback can't reliably do that across devices. There are some MMAPI 2 hacks for this but they don't work with LWUIT components.

What people often do is stream images to the device and set them to the background effectively creating a jumpy video frame by frame.