Skip to main content

Build a RIM app with LWUIT1.5

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
4 replies [Last post]
ysoubigo

Hi,

I'm trying to build a LWUIT 1.5 application to run on a BlackBerry, and I face difficulties. I quickly figured it was a build problem (not a programmation problem) when I unsuccessfully tried to build LWUITDemoRIM.

I'm working on with netbeans IDE 6.8. I downloaded and installed all needed JDE so that I did not have to change any of the project's configuration. I used the "clean and build" target.

jar, jad and cod files are generated, but when I try to install them on my BlackBerry Curve 8520 installation will no complete (and no error message is displayed). When I try downloading the jad via a web Browser, i get the following error : "907 invalid COD".

Did I miss something ? Shall I shange something in build.xml or in build-impl.xml ?

Thank you.
Happy new year.

Yannik Soubigou

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
mixaz

Hi,

Just to share my experience with building BB apps with LWUIT - I develop on Linux with bb-ant tool, use antenna and proguard. I faced all the kinds of issues with BB JVM (I believe 907 error as well, I don't remember), I agree it sucks. But finally I managed to build everything from command line.

Mike

vprise

You need to use the RIM port to work with RIM since their VM sucks.

You can use the binaries marked as RIM or blackberry from 1.5 or use the RIM port from the ports directory in SVN.

ysoubigo

Thank you,

Actually, I'm using an "official" RIM port (checked out from the svn url given in this url :https://svn.java.net/svn/lwuit~svn). I tried to apply the same configuration as LWUITDemo and LWUITDemoRIM. I could not use the IO_RIM project as it could not compile, so I used IO_MIDP project (unfortunalely there is no internet communication in LWUITDemo).

"clean and build" on my RIM project on netbeans works ok, but I can't deploy it on any BB phone.
BB Desktop Software does not install and does not give any reason.
If I download the jad with the browser i get a "907 invalid COD" error (All generated files are available under the same directory).

I just noticed that all the sizes of the cod files given in the jad file are false.

The same application is allready available on the App Store. But this version is built with LWUIT 1.4 and it cannot run correctly on 7.0 and touch devices. I've been working for a long time to build it with LWUIT 1.5 but still unsuccessfully.

Is there a simple RIM example using LWUIT and LWUIT4IO ?

Thank you

Yannik Soubigou

vprise

We are working on simplifying the process of building for RIM significantly, however it will involve allot of work to migrate to that approach and it will take us a couple of months to release it to general availability.

Right now I'm not exactly sure what went wrong in your deployment. If the cod file sizes are different from what's listed in the jad this is clearly a build problem in the Netbeans configuration and I have no idea what went wrong.

About LWUIT4IO my general recommendation is to use the MIDP IO libraries which are almost identical with the exception of the Access Point API. Unless you actually need the access point API in which case you can just look at the source code (there isn't much since its only the access point stuff, the rest is in the base class).

We will dump all of this code for the upcoming release and make something much simpler that will "just work" out of the box.