Skip to main content

animating expanding/collapsing of Tree nodes

6 replies [Last post]
ghady_rayess

Hello,
It would be a good idea to expose the ActionListener expansionListener in the class "Tree" so that one can simulate expanding/collapsing a node.
thanx

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vprise

Tree has animated expansions.
We don't expose features like that since that is an implementation detail which might change in a future release, we do provide callbacks when necessary.

ghady_rayess

I don't want to change the detail of the implementation. I think it would be a good idea to control the expansion of the tree from external events.
Let's say i have a form with a tree and I want to automatically expand the tree to a certain node. I won't be able to do that without access to the actionlistener...
Thanx

vprise

So if I get this strait what you want isn't the listener, you want a public expand/collapse node method that will accept model data (not a component). Right?

ghady_rayess

it could be just a public expand collapse method that accepts a component as parameter.
currently i do something like that:
ActionEvent ac = new ActionEvent(targetComponent, 1);
tree.getExpansionListener().actionPerformed(ac);
where targetComponent is the node i want to expand/collapse

vprise

The main issue with that is getting access to the Component, you will be relying on implementation specific behaviors which might change in a future version.
The "right thing" to do is similar to what the Swing tree did which is provide an expand method that accepts a "path" which is an array of objects from the root to the node. This isn't trivial, I just tried implementing this and it does require some work, please file an RFE on this so it doesn't get lost with my day to day tasks.
Thanks.

ghady_rayess

Well, all the user needs is a public method to collapse or expand a node. And those functions are already implemented in the Tree class but set as private "collapseNode(Component c)" & "expandeNode(Component c)".
Those methods can be set as public, or one method can simulate a button click and fire the Action listener on that component...