Skip to main content

Drawing images in Stereoscopic mode

3 replies [Last post]
gjohn

Hi
I am new to Bluray 3-D . I want to know how the drawing of the stereoscopic images is done in Bd-J appliaction in stereoscopic mode. How drawing two images to 2 planes is done by JVM ? Is it done at the native level or at the JVM levle.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
billf

Well, there's a Java-level API that's most likely implemented with some combination of Java and native code. I don't think it's really useful to think of drawing as being done "by the JVM;" it's more like a device driver.

Anyway, the API you want is under org.bluray, and has "3d" in the package name (I don't have the spec to hand, but I think we originally proposed org.bluray.ui.3d, and it became maybe org.bluray.s3d?) In the full 3D mode where Java can draw multiple objects, each at its own depth, it basically gives you two java.awt.Graphics objects, one for each eye. The javadocs for the API should be available to developers for free from the BDA.

gjohn

billf wrote:

Well, there's a Java-level API that's most likely implemented with some combination of Java and native code. I don't think it's really useful to think of drawing as being done "by the JVM;" it's more like a device driver.

Anyway, the API you want is under org.bluray, and has "3d" in the package name (I don't have the spec to hand, but I think we originally proposed org.bluray.ui.3d, and it became maybe org.bluray.s3d?) In the full 3D mode where Java can draw multiple objects, each at its own depth, it basically gives you two java.awt.Graphics objects, one for each eye. The javadocs for the API should be available to developers for free from the BDA.

Thanks for the reply
I want to know how 3D apis will be implemented How two instances of graphics will be returned in 3D mode,. Will it be thru JVM or using native code ?.

dbreitenfeld

Hi John,
The 3D implementation works exactly like the 2D implementation, which means the rendering is done by the vendor who implemented the Toolkit and all supporting interfaces.
Cheers,
Denny