Skip to main content

Video over JXTA

6 replies [Last post]
galato

Hi all,

I asked this question in the JXTA lists as well and some people said that this may have been addressed

in an old archive that I cannot find. Just in case anyone here knows a bit about it:

"Has anyone attempted, or knows of any project, that streams live video over
jxta between nodes? I was just wondering if anything like this exists before
I dive into implementing it."

Thanks

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
cuizhf2011

You can try to integrate jmf with jxse, as i know, P2People project use this solution. But I can't find the source code. Anyway , maybe you can Decompile it.

galato

I ended up encoding and decoding the bit stream on each end and it seems to be working fine. With JPEGs of around

15K things are moving fairly fast. Only when I run this across devices that are behind NAT I get big slowdowns for the

pure reason that the Relay code is not as optimized or speedy enough - oh well, nothing new with this project. Since the first days

I decided to use it, I found the concepts behind it novel but the rest was not as impressive. It has come a long way

in the past couple of years. Peer-to-Peer is not going to go away,, even if its business model is not very appealing in this

market. Glad I get to work with ti.

Thanks for the responses

larrynorth

JXTA/JXSE does not handle files per default. You need to encode your video to bitstream and send it, likwise on the receiver side it has to be decoded properly. For that you can agree with xml messages what format is used for onfly codec selection. There are several projects and wrapper for vidoe coding in java.

Have fun!

L

galato

Yep I agree - I found out the hard way but at least for now I can send consecutive images (seconds apart) one after the other using Base 64 encoding. I will investigate the video option down the road.

Take care

jaydeeee

Hi,

i am also very interested in an answer to this question and 2.7 performances.

how will JXSE 2.7 behave on a large network of say, 100,000K peers. Can it handle the resource management or will the load crush the rendez-vous. and if the peer has to stream on top of resource management, would it be efficient?

thanks

galato

I got no responses to this and searching online didn't help much other than the myJXTA code did handle video (more like sending consecutive JPEG pics every few seconds). I will this thread posted on what I find and how it goes.

Good question on the scalability of JXTA. Especially when using Relays that are single points of routing. With rendezvous you can probably segment groups or use multiple ones but with a relay not sure how that would fare.

Thanks