Skip to main content

Cannot install jdk7u2 under MS Windows XP...

5 replies [Last post]
davidbourguignon

Hi all,

Quick explanation of the problem: after uninstalling all my previous java libraries (jre6 and jre7 + jdk7u1), I tried to install the latest jdk7u2 (in order to try jfx2), which I downloaded from the usual Oracle website. When double-clicking on the EXE, it prompted the window with "do you trust this, etc." and then started running, and then... nothing occured.

Very, very strange, isn't it? After looking for info over the Internet, I found nothing. I am running MS Windows XP SP3 on a 10-year old machine. Could this old platform be the problem? Thanks in advance for your hints!

Best regards,

David.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
TreVaccinate

Did you ever figure out what to do to fix this? I went to the link that extremejava put up but quickly didn't trust it.

I have the same problem on trying to install on Win7. I've trying running as admin and running in safe mode. Not too much came up when i was searching. The exact same file worked fine on my desktop, but I need it on my laptop to work at school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

davidbourguignon

Hi! Thanks for your message. I didn't trust the link on extremejava neither, even if the accompanying blog looked like an honest attempt at helping Java developers. I didn't find a workaround and gave up, sticking with the jdk7u1. Sorry about that. In fact, I thought it was an MSWinXP issue but apparently it isn't since you're running MSWin7. My hint: I suspect some kind of conflict with environnement variables pointing to wrong directories, but I haven't got the time to test it. Try removing all Java-related environmment variables and launch the installer... I'm interested in the outcome! :-) Thanks in advance.

extremejava
davidbourguignon

Thanks a lot for your help!

davidbourguignon

Post-scriptum : when trying to install the jdk7u2 the JAVA_HOME environment variable was pointing to the directory C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_01 Could this be the source of the problem? Is JAVA_HOME useful when developing with the Eclipse IDE? Thanks in advance for your help!