Skip to main content

Will the Java 8 VM support G1 garbage collector for ARM?

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
2 replies [Last post]
stavang

Hi!

I am currently leading a SW project which involves running a distributed system on many ARMs, using java as the main execution language. Unfortunately Java 7 VM does not support the G1 gc for ARM boards, but I have not found anything about G1 support on ARM in Java 8. Is there an official statement regarding this?

Best regards,
Mads

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
bvandett

The soon to be release JDK 8 for ARM will not support G1.

We are in the process of adding G1 support to this release. Our plan is to provide an early access (unsupported) implementation in our first update release later this year with a fully supported implementation to follow.

stavang

bvandett wrote:
The soon to be release JDK 8 for ARM will not support G1. We are in the process of adding G1 support to this release. Our plan is to provide an early access (unsupported) implementation in our first update release later this year with a fully supported implementation to follow.

Interesting. I asked Oracle-Germany, and their statement is that G1 will not be supported in JDK 8 SE Embedded. Will there be an official statement regarding this?