Skip to main content

The state of Java 7 on Mac? POOR.

5 replies [Last post]
jeremyholstein

With Apple releasing the Java for OS X 006 update for Lion and Mountain Lion, it looks like Java 7 for Mac is about to go prime time.

But I continue to find basic bugs when running applets under Java 7.

Basic Swing calls, like pasting text onto a tab, comes out garbled.

Spawning an input box results in a window that will not accept input.

And the drag and drop issue, long promised to be fixed in Java 7, continues to be broken.

None of these issues exist in the PC install of Java 7.

Then there's the question of Java 7 running 64 bit only. That locks out the Chrome browser, and it doesn't look like Chrome will be 64 bit any time soon.

I continue to see conflicting information as to Java 7 being supported on Snow Leopard. There does not seem to be any technical reason why this cannot happen.

How do other users/developers feel about the state of Java 7 on the Mac? Apple seems to be pushing us that way.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
anthony_p

Did you file bugs at http://bugs.sun.com/ for all the issues that you have noticed? If not, please do so.

jeremyholstein

Our developers have, as far back as the first public preview of Java 7 for Mac, and none of them have been addressed as of yet.

Hence the frustration.

anthony_p

Could you please list the bug ID's? I can check their status and either boost their priorities or provide more details as to when they're going to be fixed.

jeremyholstein

I'll ask around for what's been submitted.

I know the most recent submission of the garbled text in a tab is bug 7190349.

Please note that the report says its fixed in Java 8, but that's not the case.

I've seen several reports of the text input problem elsewhere on the forum, but I submitted my own this morning. It's got an internal ID of 2366655.

One other frustration, as long as I have you attention. Applets that use security certificates take a long time to launch under Lion/Mt. Lion, certainly longer than under Snow Leopard. This is likely Apple's bug, but do you have any explanation or way to make our applets launch faster?

anthony_p

Please collect other bug numbers as well.

Regarding 7190349, I can tell you it won't get much attention right now unless a test case with sources is provided. We can't debug remote applets easily. Please make sure you always attach test cases to submitted issues. Please note that 7168653 was closed exactly because no test was provided.

As to the signed applets issue, again, please file a bug. I'm not an expert in the deployment code, so I've no idea what can be wrong there.