Skip to main content

Please try Java 7u6 Mac port Plugin

14 replies [Last post]
rogyeu

Hello,

Oracle has created a Java 7u6 Mac port Plugin. It contains the Applet and Java Webstart features that were not available in 7u4 Mac JDK. Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

To get the 7u6 Mac port Plugin:
http://jdk7.java.net/macportpreview/7u6index.html

For known issues, please see release notes:
http://jdk7.java.net/macportpreview/7u6releasenotes.html

Please report any bugs at http://bugreport.sun.com or post to this thread. We would like to hear both success stories and issues you have encountered.

Thanks!

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
ThomasWolf

HELP!

I had to uninstall 7u6 because of the problems I posted about - but the uninstall instructions don't work! I followed them to the "T", but it looks like Safari doesn't do anything anymore with JNLP files! I went into Safari->Preferences->Security and Java plugins is still a checked box...but whenever I click on a JNLP link, it simply downloads it.

ThomasWolf

One more piece of information. After following the de-install instructions, whenever I now click on a JNLP, I see the system console displaying the error:

7/19/12 4:22:52.951 PM [0x0-0x38038].com.apple.JavaWebStart: Unable to locate an executable at "/Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javaws" (-1)

So somehow that got deleted during the installation or de-installation process :-(

ThomasWolf

I just tried 7u6 because the Mac version of 1.6u33 has the problem whereby custom progress listeners (i.e. implementations of DownloadServiceListener) show up BEHIND the active browser window - so the user doesn't even know that something is going on. It's quite easy to reproduce this as the Oracle tutorial on the subject doesn't even work right on the Mac (see http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/customProgres... ) - not sure how that got past QA :-(

Anyway, 7u6 doesn't fix it - the problem is still there. Worse yet, our application's web page also has a link to bring up the java control panel (it's just a jnlp file with the "player" tag in it). With 7u6, the Java 7 splash screen shows up for a split second and then there's nothing. Turns out, the control panel also shows up BEHIND the browser window :-(

So it seems that there's a universal problem with bringing things to the foreground under Java/Mac.

ThomasWolf

I just reported this as a bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7185330
but it takes a couple days for it to show up there, I guess.

concalma

Tried to file a bug on the bug system, but it said that MacOS was not supported so I'm reporting here.

Issue
-----
Swing components can't be seen screen, and only when one hovers over with the mouse they show up.

The issue is present with this java plugin app, and only with 7u6 Build b11 on MacOS X. Native Java 6 seems to work well. Windows/Linux work well.

How to reproduce
----------------
Load up the java plugin app using the link below. This is a web based video transcoding app.

http://godromo.com/gmt/app?profile_id=cc81d21689b61613&gmt_version=0.8.3

1. Select a video or audio file, any media file should do.
2. When transcoding starts, press on settings. The problematic pane appears.
3. Components should have shown normally, but they will only show up if the mouse is hovered over them.

jcpalmer

When filing your bug, look closely there are 2 Mac things to pick from. Pick the one that has Oracle also in the name, & it will let you past.

concalma

Hello, I just successfully used the bug reporting system and filed a bug that if accepted should show up here:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7173367

thanks

jcpalmer

going to 10.0.0.9 also not validly signed. The page for first install still points to May 02 file.

Also if testing Webstart, run your applications BEFORE installing & get desktop Icons. After install these will still launch Java 6. This way you can easily compare or even run the Java 6 & 7 versions side by side!

If already installed, follow un-install directions. Run to get Java 6 icons, then start directions over, but step 8 must change from sudo ln -s ... to sudo ln -fs ...

jcpalmer

Got an "Update Error! Update is improperly signed", when the plug-in tried to update itself. Going from 10.0.0 to 10.0.0.08.

claudio_nieder

Hi,

A hint to those who want to use 1.7u4 and 1.7u6 alongside on the Mac. Before executing the installer of 1.7u4 rename /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.7.0.jdk to e.g. 1.7.0_04.jdk. This way it will not be overwritten when installing 1.7u6 and you can easily switch between the too using the Java Preferences tool.

claudio

s_kovatch

This should be fixed in an upcoming EA build. The new name for the JDK bundle will be jdk1.7.0_06.jdk.

-- Scott K.

gbentley111

I tried submitting a bug report, but when I chose the Operating System as "Mac" it didn't let me continue. Is there a special way I need to fill in the dropbown menus on the bug report page so I can report bugs for java for mac beta? The bug was related to mountain lion so I didn't want to publicly post it. It doesn't work for mountain lion at all. The browser on the test page doesn't load the applet, even though it appears in System Preferences.

Update: I looked at the DP3 release notes for Mountain Lion and it said:

Java applets may not work in Safari

Maybe it's not Java's fault at all then?

Either way, in the future how doI submit bug reports for the Mac version of Java?

Thanks,
Garrett

Externally supported Java Port
Oracle only builds and maintains JREs for these platforms:

Solaris
Windows
Linux
Mac OS X - More information on the Mac OS X Port Developer Preview Release page.
If you have encountered a bug in a JRE not released by Oracle, please contact the specific vendor about your bug. Visit the Oracle JDK 7 and JRE 7 supported system configurations page for more information.

If you have been able to reproduce the bug using one of Oracle's JREs, or are filing a problem that is not operating system (OS) specific, then please hit the back button on your browser and choose a different operating system (one of Solaris, Windows or Linux). Although the bug may occur on more then one OS mentioned above, we need to know one specific OS where it will be possible to reproduce the bug. On the form there is a location to let us know about other operating systems where this problem occurs.

s_kovatch

gbentley111 wrote:
I tried submitting a bug report, but when I chose the Operating System as "Mac" it didn't let me continue.

I used "Mac OS X (Oracle VM)" as the OS and it let me start filing the bug. That could be a recent change; I don't know for sure.

-- Scott K.

s_kovatch

I used "Mac OS X (Oracle VM)" as the OS and it let me start filing the bug. That could be a recent change; I don't know for sure.

Yes, it is a known problem that applet support in Safari is broken in Mountain Lion DP3, and Apple acknowledges it -- even JDK 6 is broken. Firefox 7 and later works in 10.8, if that's an option for you.

(FYI, technically we shouldn't be discussing 10.8 here...)