Skip to main content

Need help Installing JDK on Fedora 20

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
No replies
insen

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and to Java Programming, and I recently recieved an old desktop, and I installed Linux Fedora 20 on it. I'm new to Linux, also. I'm trying to learn Java programming, but I'm having a lot of trouble installing JDK on my computer. I'm convinced that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

I've tried following multiple tutorials online, and have had zero success, because my computer always ends up responding to my attempts at following instructions, in one way or another that is not predicted by the tutorials, and I can't ask a tutorial what to do if its instruction didn't work as planned. Furthermore, I lack basic knowledge of Linux architecture and commands, and so when an online tutorial says something like, "try installing [blank]" or "run [this program]," I have no idea how to do that, because they haven't explained how to perform those actions.

I plan to learn how to use Linux by actually using this Linux desktop, but so far the only thing I need a desktop PC for is to practice programming. I do everything else via mobile device. If I don't have the programming software that I want to use, installed on my computer, then I simply won't use the computer, and I therefore will gain no skill with linux.

Anyway, is there anyone on this forum who can walk me, step by step, through installing JDK, and compiling and running a simple "Hello World" program on this system? Please assume I know nothing except the necessary administration passwords for installing software, and how to access a terminal. I don't care if it takes a month of visiting this thread daily. I'm desperate.

THANK YOU, in advance.

-Ian