Skip to main content

jdk8 b113 javadoc dies when documenting subclass of java.text.NumberFormat -- any workarounds?

1 reply [Last post]
katzn

I've noticed that if you attempt to use the latest jdk8 javadoc on any subclass of java.text.NumberFormat or java.text.DateFormat, javadoc will throw an exception and fail. See the example below:

> cat JavadocFailure.java
import java.text.NumberFormat;

public class JavadocFailure extends NumberFormat
{
}

> javadoc JavadocFailure.java
Loading source file JavadocFailure.java...
Constructing Javadoc information...
Standard Doclet version 1.8.0-ea
Building tree for all the packages and classes...
Generating ./JavadocFailure.html...
com.sun.tools.javac.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: class file for sun.util.locale.provider.LocaleProviderAdapter not found
javadoc: error - com.sun.tools.javac.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: class file for sun.util.locale.provider.LocaleProviderAdapter not found
1 error

> java -version
java version "1.8.0-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-ea-b113)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b55, mixed mode)

This was on a 64-bit RHEL6 x86_64 Linux box.

I reported this via the standard bug report channels, and was assigned a bug id of 9007871, but the bug isn't showing up at bugs.sun.com, and I'm concerned that the bug database is broken. By posting here, I'm hoping Oracle notices, and also hoping that others here will know workarounds for this issue.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
thetaphi

The same happens also with classes extending java.text.BreakIterator. So it could be something that affects all classes extending those in the java.text package.

This breaks Apache Lucene builds.