Skip to main content

java applets on Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8)

1 reply [Last post]
SandorL

Hi,

I somehow messed up my Java installations with JDK7 and JDK8 under Mac OS 10.7 Lion. (FWIW: I could even make the JRE7's preference pane find JDK8 and the JRE in it, but applets did not start either way.)

I chose to make the jump and try setting things up under Mountain Lion (developer preview 3 update 2). I know there were bug reports about Java applets in Safari. But are those solved now? 10.8 is supposed to be shipping in weeks, if not days, no?

In any case, now I have Java 6, 7, and 8 on this machine, with JRE7's preference pane seeing all three. I still cannot start up applets, which I really need. (I know, I know, I could revert to a backup " but if not, then?)

Java VM is found, e.g. from the Terminal:
$ java -version
java version "1.8.0-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-ea-b41)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.0-b12, mixed mode)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
s_kovatch

This is a known problem with the Mountain Lion developer previews, and required a change in the Java Plugin for OS X. You should see it in next week's early access build.

There's no workaround, unfortunately, but this only affects Safari. Firefox still works on 10.8 with applets.

Do not get used to the ability to specify additional JREs with the Java Control Panel. You cannot use Java 6 with the Java 7 plugin.

-- Scott K.