Skip to main content

Can't update jdk8 on Windows-64

8 replies [Last post]
robertjalex

I had successfully installed and have been running build 96, and tried to update to build 100. So uninstalled build 96 and attempted to run installer for build 100. As usual, the installer requests permission to update my computer, I reply OK, and the installer seems to immediately terminate -- no feedback indicated in the GUI.

Investigating, I tried installing versions previous to build 100 (including build 96 which previously worked), and get the same result. I was, however, able to install the build 100 JRE.

It seems as though my machine has gotten into a state that causes the installer to crash or otherwise terminate before performing the install. Maybe there is a log message somewhere on my computer, but I'm not good enough at Windows debugging to find it.

Any suggestions??

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
hindsight

Same here. (Running Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit).

When I uninstalled b100 (prior to installing b101 today), I noticed that the Windows Control Panel "Program and Features" applet was only listing the JDK, and not the JDK and the JRE - both were installed when I installed b100. Indeed, after uninstalling b100, I noticed that the JRE was still installed - even though there's no installation associated with those files. This may be relevant to the problem...

When installing b101, I'm asked for permission to make modifications, then the installer abruptly terminates with no error.

There are no apparent messages in the Windows Event Log either...

hindsight

Tried again with latest b102 build. No luck.

Raised bug id: 9005905 as a result...

hindsight

OK, for some reason, Oracle has decided not to let anyone (or, me, at least) see this bug report - and I filed it!

I've found a way to allow the recent JDK builds to be installed. It appears that b100 (and maybe other later builds - I'll know in the next few days) seems to have a broken installer/uninstaller...

I noticed that the b100 JDK - the last one I was able to install - had left behind a folder named jdk1.8.0_combo in my root directory (C:\Users\myusername). When I deleted this, hey presto, I was able to install the b102 JDK.

Just so you know...

robertjalex

Thanks -- good sleuthwork! I had not been able to update my Windows x64 Java8 since I started this thread, but after removing the old combo folder, all is good.

Tim65

Confirmed. All 64 bits JRE builds up to 100 install after deleting the combo folder from :C/User/myusername. Builds 101 and 102 still have installer problem. Have these 2 builds been fixed in the download area or do we have to wait for b103?

Tim65

I have same problem with b102 and previous builds of 64 bit JRE 8 on Windows 8 from b92 onwards. I found a Combo on the net for installing build 96 which works perfectly. I can't find a combo for subsequent builds. My 32 bit JRE 8 builds install correctly even b102.

Tim65

64 bit JRE b103 still suffers same installer problem as b101 and b102.

Tim65

Installer problem still exists with 64 bit JRE builds 104 and 105. Have tried the delete combi trick but they still don't install. Can somebody fix the installer wizard?