Skip to main content

Can't install Java 7 in Eclipse on Mac

4 replies [Last post]
david.matuszek

I have followed the instructions on http://jdk7.java.net/macportpreview/.

In Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, Version: Indigo Service Release 1, Build id: 20110916-0149, I can set the Java Build Path to include "JRE System Library [JavaSE-1.7] (unbound). However, I get the message "Build path entry is missing: org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.7"

When I try to add a JRE by going to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines, I can't select "JDK 1.7.0 Developer Preview.jdk" (it's grayed out). If I look at the contents, it's nothing like the contents for my JDK 1.6. I've tried to move this file to various places, but nothing seems to work. Searching for installed JREs does not find it.

Has anyone had any luck installing Java 7 on the Mac?

Thanks, Dave

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
rshelley

I had this same problem today. I had to go into Terminal and do the following:

cd /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
sudo ln -s `pwd`/JDK\ 1.7.0\ Developer\ Preview.jdk/Contents/Home jdk-1.7.0

That should create a new symlink to the essential java files, and you can use that symlink to hook it into Eclipse.

c_thompson

Thank you. Very helpful. How did you figure this out? I would never in a million years have thought of this.

c_thompson

Thank you. Very helpful. How did you figure this out? I would never in a million years have thought of this.

dnndev

I am having the exact same issue with netbeans!

Update: Figured it out. netbeans was looking by default in System/Library/Java instead of Library/Java