Skip to main content

JSR license question - JSIP API and NIST Impl in commercial use?

Please note these forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at
Posted by ryan_waters on February 20, 2014 at 2:39 AM PST

Wasn't sure where to ask this...

QUESTION - To use "gov.nist" stack or even piece's of it, we would need to import "javax.sip" packages which are the JSIP interfaces that "gov.nist" implements. Is this allowed for commercial use. Especially if we are just consumer the API/Impl and not re-publishing/re-licensing the API.

Here are some details I found and why we are not 100% sure and asking:

- NIST-CONDITONS-OF-USE.txt file - I see the implementation "gov.nist" packages are in the public domain. Excellent!
- JSIP Spec License.pdf - The link is broken :-(

2) I did find this about JSIP API:

Paragraph 1 from JSIP license above states the following which makes us think we can't import javax.sip:
"applicable intellectual property rights to view, download, use and reproduce the Specification only for the purpose of internal evaluation..."

Paragraph2 from JSIP license above states the following which makes us think we can use it and the implementation and API:
"Specification to create and/or distribute an Independent Implementation of the Specification that: (i) fully implements the Spec(s) including all
its required interfaces and functionality; (ii) does not modify, subset, superset or otherwise extend the Licensor Name"