Skip to main content

Swinglabs/SwingX checkup

2 replies [Last post]
Tycosson

Hi there,

I'm new to SwingLabs/SwingX and possibly interested in using it for my company's applications. But first, I need to know about a few things :

• Community
    I read the project was droped by Sun in 2007 (or something like that) for JavaFX and that the community gave up on it.
    Then I found this place, and it seems the project started again at the end of 2010.
    Still, I can't find any releases and some web pages don't exist anymore, but it seems to be a migration problem... right ?
    So... what's the story ?
  • Releases
    Is it still being maintained ? Are there frequent releases ? Or are there gonna be ?
  • Stability
    I'm not looking for a bug-free API, but is it reliable/stable ?

Regards,

Laurent.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
kschaefe

[quote=Tycosson]Community
I read the project was droped by Sun in 2007 (or something like that) for JavaFX and that the community gave up on it.
Then I found this place, and it seems the project started again at the end of 2010.
Still, I can't find any releases and some web pages don't exist anymore, but it seems to be a migration problem... right ?
So... what's the story ?[/quote]

This project never had any correlation with JavaFX.  Some Sun folks did stop contributing when they started working on JavaFX, but most of the active development has been from non-Sun/non-Oracle individuals.

Most of the SwingX site stuff has been hosed since the java.net migration.

[quote=Tycosson]Releases
Is it still being maintained ? Are there frequent releases ? Or are there gonna be ?[/quote]

We'd like that, but our build system has been maintained at Oracle.  Most of the active developers don't have access to it.  We are somewhat stuck, with our hands tied at this point.  I, personally, have no interested in maintaining a build server.  Since we don't have active, successful builds on a known good server, we have reluctant to release anything even thought it works locally.

[quote=Tycosson]Stability
I'm not looking for a bug-free API, but is it reliable/stable ?[/quote]

The API is stable.  Items that are deprecated must go at least two releases before being removed.  As for bug, JIRA is publicly viewable.  A lot of the items are feature requests.  We have a ton of items in for the next release....whenever that will be.

Karl

Tycosson

Thanks a million,

Laurent.