Skip to main content

newbie new question -- install

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
4 replies [Last post]
rfranzen

I just downloaded swingx-1.6.2-bundle.zip so that I could install SwingX on my Windows 7 machine. I opened the zip file and copied the folder "swingx-1.6.2" to create "D:\progming\java\extensions\swingx-1.6.2". But now I don't know how to proceed. Do I need to further unpack the jar files? Do I need to manually change my classpath?
Currently I am not using an IDE. My coding is all by hand in a text editor. So my main interest right now is to make the swingx classes available for raw javac compilation. Thanks.
-- Rich

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
kleopatra

just the jar and put it on the classpath - how exactly depends on your system ;-)
Not sure if the test support is part of the binary release (@Karl, @Jan: is it?). If not you'll need to either checkout and build from svn or slightly rewrite my example over at OTN as a standalone app.
Cheers
Jeanette

rfranzen

Ok, I made a CLASSPATH variable, and it seems to be finding SwingX now:

D:\progming\java>echo %CLASSPATH%
.;D:\progming\java\extensions\swingx-1.6.2/swingx-core-1.6.2.jar

The number of errors has reduced from 46 to 36, so there is progrress. :) Some of the errors are likely due to lack of the test stuff Jeanette mentions, but others I don't understand. I have the two ColorName classes, NTC.class, and Hilb.class in the directory where I am compiling, but it does not seem to find them.
ColorExperiments.java:159: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ColorName
    public static class MarkerColorName extends ColorName {
                                                ^
ColorExperiments.java:52: cannot find symbol
symbol: class NumericComparator
                    list.setComparator(new NumericComparator(((Integer)box.getSelectedItem()).intValue()));
                                           ^

ColorExperiments.java:146: package NTC does not exist
        for (int i = 0; i < NTC.names.length; i++) {
                               ^
ColorExperiments.java:147: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ColorName
            model.addElement(new ColorName(NTC.names[i][1], NTC.names[i][0]));
                                 ^

Why would it not be finding classes in the current directory?
PS: I don't understand this forum software. Most of the above is formatted when I originally wrote it, and even now it came back when I am editing, but the formatting disappears aftera post.

kleopatra

Rich,
I think we should continue this over at OTN
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2125652&tstart=0
mainly because it's more or less unrelated to SwingX - and I'm usually very keen on keeping this forum free from everything other than SwingX. Should disrespect my own rules <g>
That said: look at the package name in the error - my examples (including the copies of your code) are in a package original instead of default (unnamed) package. Simply remove the package statements and all should work, at least for your classes.
This forums software is .. ehem ..
- always beyond our control
- forum is in migration, meaning particularly unstable and new to all of us as well
- please give your feedback to the site maintainers, f.i. the community leader Sonya Barry, or use the feedback button below (not sure if it still works, though <g>)
- code tags seem to be missing, best I found is the "formatteed" option in the format combo above

HTH
Jeanette

rfranzen

Weird, I don't even seem to have a CLASSPATH environmental variable defined. I don't know how javac is finding even the standard jdk classes.