Skip to main content

JXTreeTable, AbstractTreeTableModel - How to Update changes / get TreePath ?

4 replies [Last post]
AspirinC

Hello everybody,

I currently working with a JXTreeTable with an own AbstractTreeTableModel.
When I edit a Cell in the TreeTable I also want the Model to be updated and display the change.
My Problem is that in my setValueAt() Method (in my Custom AbstractTreeTableModel) I want to inform the listeners with a fireXXX event - but therefore I need a TreePath. Is there an easy way to get it? Or have I construct it on my own? Is there a best practice?

Here is some of my code:

public class CommandTableModel extends AbstractTreeTableModel {

@Override
public void setValueAt(Object value, Object node, int col) {
this.modelSupport.fireChildrenChanged(????);
}
}

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
kleopatra

your model needs to implement some method which returns the path to the root: that's highly dependent on the exact nature of your nodes, so nothing any general implementation can provide. For pointers, see DefaultTreeTableModel.

Cheers
Jeanette

AspirinC

Thank you for the answer. :)

I also have a more general question about the usage of TreeTables.
First of all my situation: I want to use the JXTreeTables to display and to edit (delete, change, add ) my data model. My data model consists of many classes which are related.
To get more specific: I have an abstract class "Element" which is the super class for other classes like "SpecialElement" and "Folder" (Folder has a List of Elements).
The elements are stored in a List ... this is how I archive the hierarchical order.

For this case I assume the following structure would be a good practice:
The abstract class "Element" should implement "MutableTreeTableNode" in order to provide the functions you mentioned (getParent() etc) for every subclass.
My CustomTreeTableModel extends AbstractTreeTableModel and in the setValueAt() Method I update my model. To inform the Listeners I will call fireChildChanged with the treePath I'll get from the Element (which implements MutableTreeTableNode).
Am I right so far? :D

I haven't looked yet into how to add & remove Elements. First thought would be that setValueAt() also handles the removal but how to add?

Thanks in advance for reading :)

kleopatra

actually, I didn't read it in any depth, just skimmed ;-)

Sounds fishy to use setValueAt for insertion/removal, typically your custom model will have dedicated methods for doing such. Have a look a DefaultTree/Table/Model for pointers Keep in mind: a TreeTableModel _is-a_ TreeModel, so the best path for learning is to understand the core TreeModel.

Cheers
Jeanette

AspirinC

Thanks for your help ...

Now I've got another short Question:
I've got one DataStructure which represents my hierarchy but I want to use two views.
First view is the JXtreeTable and the second one is a Jtree.
What would be the best way to update the JTree when I'm changing my DataStruct with the JXTreeTable?
(JXTreeTable and JTree both use custom models)