Skip to main content

I've got "some cool new widgets"

12 replies [Last post]
hoesterholt

Hi There,
I've got "some cool new widgets" that I would like to make publicly available, preferably
as part of the SwingX widgets. They consist of:
- JXMLNote: A rich text edit widget for note taking, based on JTextPane, with styles, a structured XML
document format with meta data, zooming, high level interface to Highlighters, good copy/paste
functionality, good do/undo functionality, a tabbed ruler, reasonable HTML copy/paste with MSWord/OpenOffice,
printing functionality and integration with:
- A reporting engine, that is very easy to use, yet powerful enough to use for printing purposes in your
java program, that creates output to PDF and for printing. Currently HTML output is being created.;
- JHelpEditor/JHelpViewer, based on JXMLNote and the reporting engine. An easy way to create
help files for your java program.

- JXSplitTable - Two JXTables in one widget with one JXSplitTable table model. That can be used to
create a table interaction with users with a 'left' side and a 'right' side that scroll vertically synchronously,
but horizontally asynchronously.
- JXTwoLevelSplitTable - Based on JXSplitTable, creates a table that has 'two levels': headers with
information beneath that can be opened and closed.
Best regards,
Hans Oesterholt

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
kleopatra

sounds cool :-)
The process to contribute to SwingX is to first add the stuff to the jdnc-incubator and then fire up discussions about it here, until it finally may make its way into swingx itself.
https://jdnc-incubator.dev.java.net/
Just sent the signed joined copyright agreement (as described on the incubator project home page) to Alex dot Potochkin at Oracle dot com - you'll get write access immediately (hopefully :-) after doing so.
Looking forward to seeing your code :-)
Jeanette

hoesterholt

Uhm, I managed to reach Alexander and filed the new OCA.
Now I'd like to add code. Via the WEB SVN interface, I found a readme, telling me to use cvs
and about the directory structure of the JDNC CVS. So now, I've got a couple of questions:
1. Which one should I use: SVN or CVS (I prefer SVN).
2. I'm an eclipse user. My projects have a certain predefined structure. I probably need to reorder that?
Thanks in advance for your answer,
Hans

kleopatra

Before committing you'll need to wait for the write access - can't do it myself, missing the rights, will ping Alex so he puts it high on his list. Can't wait to see your code :-)
The readme ... wasn't updated after moving to svn - if you dig in the sources via web, there is no cvs :-) Structure doesn't change though. Actually, below your toplevel dirs - which would be src/hoesterholt, www/demos/hoesterholt, ... - you can organize your content as you like. Just keep in mind that others want to get-in and understand quickly what you are doing :-)
Cheers
Jeanette

kleopatra

okay, meanwhile we (Karl and me) got owner-roles for the incubator project - not sure what the procedure is, though. Invited you (via your java.net email) to join the project. Simply appy for developer status, I'll grant it asap.
Cheers
Jeanette

kleopatra

at last, found the button to grant roles without inviting - you are free to commit to the incubator :-)
Cheers
Jeanette

hoesterholt

Hi Jeanette,

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Best wishes,
Hans

hoesterholt

I have seen the JCA agreement. Also I see that the SwingX code is released under LGPL, which is ok to me.
But: How can I be sure that the code stays under LGPL?
Best whishes,
Hans

kschaefe

Once its under the LGPL, even if the license were to change (not that I think it will), that code could still be forked and maintained as LGPL.
Karl

kleopatra

good question - no idea, legal-speak is not for me. If that's important to you, you might consider to start a custom project under that license and drive for direct inclusion by discussing it here.
On second thought - we might consider to open such a contribution project as well. Snoracle is no longer part of SwingX (no support whatever - except the build server which is down more than it is up), so might as well start independently, at least the incubator.
Raised the issue internally a while ago, without much of a conclusion. Comments, please?
Cheers
Jeanette

hoesterholt

Hmm, Snoracle. You story doesn't sound like the current situation is real positive towards OSS.
Ok, I think you could always go to something like sourceforge.net or javaforge. I wouldn't mind.
One would probably have to host a daily integration service elsewhere (e.g. at home).
Best regards,
Hans

kleopatra

hoesterholt wrote:

Hmm, Snoracle. You story doesn't sound like the current situation is real positive towards OSS.

me too being pessimistic - just look what's happening to Hudson :-( Sounds (to me, not being anywhere deep, not even shallow into the legal ramafications) into like Snoracle has no legal right to claim owner rights on the name of the project. Simple story seems to be: they are big enough to try ;-)
CU
Jeanette

kschaefe

The point is, it is your code and you still have rights to it regardless of what we might do with contributed code.
I don't think there's any reason that the JCA would/should prevent someone from joining/committing to the SwingLabs projects. It is the same agreement used to contribute to OpenJDK, so take that however you will.
Karl