Skip to main content

How are we supposed to quote here?

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
10 replies [Last post]
kleopatra

whenever I hit the "quote" button (instead of the reply - what a usability horror ...) I can't save: error is "subject must not be empty" (or similar). Cant find a way to fill a subject that's already there ... 

Clueless

Jeanette

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
fnikola
Administrator

kleopatra wrote:

whenever I hit the "quote" button (instead of the reply - what a usability horror ...) I can't save: error is "subject must not be empty" (or similar). Cant find a way to fill a subject that's already there ...
Clueless
Jeanette

hi kleopatra,

are you still seeing this error? i have been able to "quote" without an error. also, would you like the button to change to "reply with quote" as indicated by stongo below?

thanks,

fnikola
Administrator

fnikola wrote:
kleopatra wrote:

Clueless
Jeanette

hi kleopatra,

are you still seeing this error? i have been able to "quote" without an error. also, would you like the button to change to "reply with quote" as indicated by stongo below?

thanks,

testing quote one more time!

ljnelson

kleopatra wrote:

Clueless
Jeanette

You can't, to my knowledge. I always copy and paste. These forums have knocked the usability of this site down several orders of magnitude. It's kind of embarrassing. :-(
Best,
Laird

kleopatra

feared that ... thanks for the confirmation :-)
Yeah, usability is indeed down by orders of magnitude. I suspect that's one of the reasons these forums are near-to dead. That's a pity, because the migration as such went quite well - with the big big big plus that all old postings are preserved and still reachable under their old links, down to the single message level. Congrats, Sonya!
Maybe it's time to list all the shortcomings and alert the site admin. Lazy me secretely had hoped that they would self-heal without taking any action, or others would jump in <g>. Sigh...
Cheers
Jeanette

sonyabarry
Administrator

Yes, it is time. :)

Tonya found this in her spam search and escalated to me, which is kind of a crapshoot. I don't read the swing forums, and neither do the Cognisync team. I wrote a bug here: http://java.net/jira/browse/ABOUT-52

And you can write bugs or enhancements requests there as well. If I don't know about it, I can't get it fixed for you.

Question about this issue though - there is a reply button that works as advertised. Are you saying you'd rather see one reply button that automatically quotes by default, or maybe rename the quote button to "reply with quote"?

kleopatra

[quote=sonyabarry]Yes, it is time. :)

Tonya found this in her spam search and escalated to me, which is kind of a crapshoot. I don't read the swing forums, and neither do the Cognisync team. I wrote a bug here: http://java.net/jira/browse/ABOUT-52

And you can write bugs or enhancements requests there as well. If I don't know about it, I can't get it fixed for you.

Question about this issue though - there is a reply button that works as advertised. Are you saying you'd rather see one reply button that automatically quotes by default, or maybe rename the quote button to "reply with quote"?[/quote]
[quote=sonyabarry]

Question about this issue though - there is a reply button that works as advertised. Are you saying you'd rather see one reply button that automatically quotes by default, or maybe rename the quote button to "reply with quote"?[/quote]

Hi Sonya,

sorry for being so late - I don't hang around here very much, mostly due to time constraints. Plus, I really came to hate this forum, it feels like it fights me ever single time I'm here. As I don't like feeling bad, especially so in my precious spare time, I tend to play at greener pastures ;-)

now, let's see if at least the quoting works:

d*** - it's happening again, didn't work. So what I did was hit the "quote" button, your message appears in the the quote tags (as you see ;-), then added my reply (in the plain editor), then save ... and out comes ... edit again, tried switch to rich text editor (didn't work), tried save (that at least worked) giving up

Cheers
Jeanette

fnikola
Administrator

kleopatra wrote:
sonyabarry wrote:

Question about this issue though - there is a reply button that works as advertised. Are you saying you'd rather see one reply button that automatically quotes by default, or maybe rename the quote button to "reply with quote"?

sonyabarry wrote:

Hi Sonya,

sorry for being so late - I don't hang around here very much, mostly due to time constraints. Plus, I really came to hate this forum, it feels like it fights me ever single time I'm here. As I don't like feeling bad, especially so in my precious spare time, I tend to play at greener pastures ;-)

d*** - it's happening again, didn't work. So what I did was hit the "quote" button, your message appears in the the quote tags (as you see ;-), then added my reply (in the plain editor), then save ... and out comes ... edit again, tried switch to rich text editor (didn't work), tried save (that at least worked) giving up

Cheers
Jeanette

hi kleopatra,

testing quote button again. it did work for me earlier.

kleopatra

fnikola,

still no luck (as you see in my last response a couple of seconds ago)

kleopatra

Let's see the outcome ....

[quote=fnikola][quote=kleopatra][quote=sonyabarry]Yes, it is time. :)

[quote=sonyabarry]

Hi Sonya,

Cheers
Jeanette[/quote]

hi kleopatra,

testing quote button again. it did work for me earlier.[/quote]

ax8l

kleopatra wrote:
whenever I hit the "quote" button (instead of the reply - what a usability horror ...) I can't save: error is "subject must not be empty" (or similar). Cant find a way to fill a subject that's already there ... Clueless Jeanette

YOu are right, the subject form is hidden!

edited: removed spam links - add them again to be blocked completely ;-) Jeanette