Skip to main content

always get exceptions after deleting the last row in the jxtable.

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
4 replies [Last post]
szd116

Hello,

For some reason i always get the following error after trying to delete the last row in the jxtable

when I found the data in the row that I would do the following to delete, I call

arrayList.remove(z); fireTableRowsDeleted(z,z);

and then the event gets forwarded to getValueAt, in this function I am checking whether the call is trying to access to the data where it doesn't exist in the model, which it doesn't in this case! ( just removed)
so I returned ""; and then the exception happens. My question is when knowing the data model returns zero

public int getRowCount() {
return arrayList.size();
}

why does it still forward the fireTablerowsDeleted call to getValueAt ? am I missing something here ? thank you.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: valid viewIndex: 0 <= index < 0 but was: 0
at org.jdesktop.swingx.sort.DefaultSortController.convertRowIndexToModel(DefaultSortController.java:311)
at javax.swing.JTable.convertRowIndexToModel(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTable.getValueAt(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.JXTable.prepareRenderer(JXTable.java:3535)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCell(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Unknown Source)

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
kschaefe

A small, runnable demo is required for more debugging efforts.

Karl

martinm1000

Is it me or you edited your comment and replaced showTable by arrayList ?
How about posting a complete working example if you need help...

martinm1000

Hi. I would suggest you try to find a good example of how to design around a JTable and its Data Model. The lines of code you have are all wrong ;-(.

Here are some pointers :

1. Try to not access the JXTable (showTable ?) from your model.
2. Use a collection inside your model for your data.
When its time to delete, delete the row from inside your model : collection.remove(element);
3. Then fire the event. the event is only for the UI stuff.
4. getRowCount() should return the size of your internal data collection. Do not use a reference to JXTable there. (JXTable could be filtering rows for example).

Here is a quick sample from some more or less good code I did recently.
I don't have a delete in that example, but there is a clear() method on the model that
do the same. http://pastebin.com/xS8HBpyR

Also, this is not really a swingx question ;-)

szd116

well, showTable is acutally a list of string[], i just changed the name to arrayList, sorry for the confusion.