Skip to main content

Problem with GraphicsConfiguration of a frame

5 replies [Last post]
CelineR

Hi,

I have a simple program which builds a frame with a specific GraphicsConfiguration.
When I launch this program on Linux and Java1.7 with multiscreens (TwinView), the GraphicsConfiguration of my frame changes to default configuration if it is moved onto the second screen.
Why the default configuration is restored ? With Java1.6, this change doesn't occur.
Thanks,
Best regards

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
anthony_p

Hello,

Different screens are represented as different GraphicsConfigurations, so it looks natural if a GC is replaced when a window is moved to another screen. However, it looks like with older JDK this wasn't the case. Please file a bug against AWT at http://bugs.sun.com/ to evaluate the new behavior. Note that it isn't clear whether this is a bug or not, but it needs to be evaluated. Thanks in advance.

--
best regards,
Anthony

CelineR

Thanks for your reply.
I try to file a bug but I always get a submission error for now... :-(

Celine

anthony_p

I have filed 8006421 for you. The bug should be visible on bug.sun.com in a day or two.

CelineR

Hello,

I've tested with a translucent window (GradientTranslucentWindowDemo from "How to Create Translucent and Shaped Windows" tutorial).
On the first screen, a translucency-capable GraphicsConfig is found and it is not the default one (GraphicsDevice.getTranslucencyCapableGC()). To check graphics configurations, I print visual IDs: Default GC = 33, Frame GC = 284.
When the window is moved to the second screen, visual IDs: Default GC = 33, Frame GC = 33.
The GC of the frame is the default GC.
If I move my frame back to the first screen, visual IDs: Default GC = 33, Frame GC = 33.
The translucency-capable GraphicsConfig is never restored.

So, for me, this is a bug, I think the chosen GraphicsConfig must be closest to the GC explicitly specified by the application.

Celine

anthony_p

I've added your comment to the bug. Please watch it at http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=8006421