Skip to main content

PickCylinderRay IntersectionPoint Problem

2 replies [Last post]
Omnipotent_Penny

Hello,

In my scene I create a PickCylinderRay and when I query a PickInfo it seems to return the correct object and distance.

The getClosestIntersectionPoint() and getIntersectionPoint() do not seem to return a value of any sense. Certainly not relative to the pick ray origin.

There is no explanation in the documentation on how to interpret this information.

What is most intriguing is that the intersection point travels along linears x or y or z depending on the rotation of the pick ray relative to the closest collision plane.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain how to interpret the intersection point and relate it to the pick info.

Many Thanks
Penny

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Omnipotent_Penny

In trying to find a work around for this.

I have determined that the 3 points of the triangle vectors returned in the PickInfo.IntersectionInfo are not always in the right order.

To work around this I calculate their normal and if the dot is not 1 with the geometry array normal then i swap the 2nd and 3rd vectors. extra computation!!!!

Now I find that the PickRay.getClosest() doesnt actually return the closest hit!!!! so this is now totally fubar....

The problem is...

I have a square floor of 2 triangles. I have a PickCylinderRay above the floor pointing down. Say the cylinder radius is 1. I locate the pickCylinder over triangle 1 but overlapping onto triangle 2. The purpendicular of triangle 1 is closer than the closest edge purpendicular of triangle 2 but the PickInfo may return triangle 2 and being the closest...

Java3D pick ray objects are full of bugs....

fuk, is anyone actually using Java3d any more? Im really worried now because I have been working on my project for a couple of years and if Java3D is now obsolete I will be very disappointed.

Can anyone please help or tell me Java3d is obsolete and what the preferred multi-platform compiled code tech is. many thanks.

Omnipotent_Penny

I still havent found the solution as to why pickfast.PickTool and pickfast.PickIntersection skips the closest triangle when one of the vertices is within the PickCylinderRay

Is everyone dead? Why no help?