Skip to main content

METRICWORLD3D : Engine Platform for running virtual environments

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
3 replies [Last post]
MetricWorld3D

MetricWorld3D is a software-engine, developed with JAVA3D, that allows to the immersion and the movement of the observer in scenes visualized in a three-dimensional virtual space. The set of geometric objects and configuration that facilitates MetricWorld3D is very simple and limited. The properties of each object are written and saved in a text file. MetricWorld3D are project developed by my personal initiative. Available in http://www.MetricWorld3D.com

The author,
Manel

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
lew

not bad, "VIEW DEMO" button worked for me :)
I can "walk" and "rotate".
the picture should look like on attached screenshot?

btw, I got non-critical exception , while starting:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Picking can only work if BranchGroup is alive
at javax.media.j3d.BranchGroup.pickAll(BranchGroup.java:181)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickGeomAllSorted(PickTool.java:712)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickGeomClosest(PickTool.java:792)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickClosest(PickTool.java:574)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Objects.Graphic.Controls.ControlInteractionEvents.(ControlInteractionEvents.java:303)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Space.SpaceFactory.createControlInteractionEventsScene(SpaceFactory.java:1666)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Space.SpaceFactory.getPrimaryInstance(SpaceFactory.java:426)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Build.MakeCity.runProcess(MakeCity.java:426)
at MetricWorld.Frametech.Flow.MainApplet.init(MainApplet.java:310)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Picking can only work if BranchGroup is alive
at javax.media.j3d.BranchGroup.pickAll(BranchGroup.java:181)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickGeomAllSorted(PickTool.java:712)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickGeomClosest(PickTool.java:792)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.picking.PickTool.pickClosest(PickTool.java:574)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Objects.Graphic.Controls.ControlInteractionEvents.(ControlInteractionEvents.java:303)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Space.SpaceFactory.createControlInteractionEventsScene(SpaceFactory.java:1666)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Space.SpaceFactory.getPrimaryInstance(SpaceFactory.java:426)
at MetricWorld.Habitat.Build.MakeCity.runProcess(MakeCity.java:426)
at MetricWorld.Frametech.Flow.MainApplet.init(MainApplet.java:310)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

MetricWorld3D

Hi,

( ... Excuse my English. I am using a translator from Spanish to English ... )

Thanks for your comment !! The images for the textures are simple JPG files. There is nothing special. In the demo are photographies of the street. Are real. The demo is slow because many images are used (textures) on the scene. I added a new feature: when the demo started running a small virtual tour.

Thanks for reminding me this error: Picking can only work if BranchGroup is alive

See the best results in the project Ceintra ( built and run with the engine MetricWorld3D ). Is a my virtual museum (graffiti) on the website http://www.ceintra.com

I have these questions to my problems. ¿ Can someone help me with these problems ? It will be very grateful,

• - ¿ Can increase the performance of keyboard and mouse events ?
  • - ¿ Java3D can run on mobile devices ?
  • - ¿ Java3D can you send the video screen via internet to user navigator or mobile devices ? Is there any interface ?
  • - Many users do not want to install on your computer java3D. Do not run the demo ... ! This problem can be solved if the distribution of operating systems provide run-time Java3D. ¿ Is it possible ?
  • - With the application MetricWorld3D I would like to get results like Google Earth 3D on mobile devices! It seems that it is not possible !!! ¿ Any idea how to achieve this purpose ?
  • My next idea is to develop an application (UI) that allows maintenance of the folders and files of the user projects.

MetricWorld3D is developed with Java3D and Swing. Build scenes with simple geometry objects. The user writes the properties of objects and space in text files. The texture images are JPG files (see documentation on the website). These text files are the user project and organized in a folder structure on disk from your local PC. The user can have multiple projects and executes them by invoking the engine MetricWorld3D from a URL. The service is free.

For an optimal rotation of the scene must be added a few objects and images with poor resolution. The scenes designed to be small for a good response to movement with the mouse and keyboard. The scene is not photorealism. They look like a video game.

If there is any interest in pushing this project within java-net community please contact me.

Best Regards,
    Manel

campusGraphics

go for Jmonkey (jme3). Java3D is dead