Skip to main content

Is java3D dying?

3 replies [Last post]
campusGraphics

Hi,
I wanted to plot 3D points cloud in java and went to download the SDK and stuff and noticed that apparently Java3D is no longer the main focus in Java projects and no updates has been done in recent years. I java3D dying ?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
gmrolf

Dear All,
I am also very intrested whats about the future of java3d... are there any developers to keep it alive or is there no further interest - or just too much stuff to keep it alive?

Are there any plans to integrate something like j3d into e.g. javaFX? Android-Users a.s.f. like to view things in 3d :) or build new libarys for handling the third dimension with java?

best regards
Rolf

sorry for posting twice...if i am unable to detect any delete...

gmrolf

Dear All,
I am also very intrested whats about the future of java3d... are there any developers to keep it alive or is there no further interest - or just too much stuff to keep it alive?

Are there any plans to integrate something like j3d into e.g. javaFX? Android-Users a.s.f. like to view things in 3d :) or build new libarys for handling the third dimension with java?

best regards
Rolf

harveyh

Yeah, it's pretty stagnant, you're welcome to look at my port of Java3d to jogl2 which helps keep it wokring on newer versions of Java on MacOSX:

git://github.com/hharrison/java3d-core.git
git://github.com/hharrison/java3d-utils.git
git://github.com/hharrison/vecmath.git

You'll need my updated java-utils as well as I've removed some older fallback code as well.

Let me know if you find it useful.

Harvey