Skip to main content

Draw double sided vertices

Please note these forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at
2 replies [Last post]

Hi everybody,

i have an obj file (wavefront) and loaded it with java 3d and i saw that the vertices are only drawn on 1 side and the result looks like the picture "Chair1.jpg" that i attached.

I've opened the obj file with poseray too and there i saw an option called "draw double sided". If you uncheck this field the chair appears exactly like in picture chair1.jpg

Is there a possibility in Java3D to draw the vertices doubled sided? That the result is like picture "Chair2.jpg"

If i cant draw them double sided, what else can i do?

Thanks in advance!

Chair1.jpg54.29 KB
Chair2.jpg189.46 KB
Chair3.jpg198.94 KB

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Set the polygon attributes of the obj-Shape3D Appearance (objAppear) as follows:

PolygonAttributes polyAttr = new PolygonAttributes();<br />
polyAttr.setBackFaceNormalFlip(true);<br />

Thats it!!

Thank you very much.

Im a little confused right now, java 3d is not the only library i've tested (JReality, LWJGL..) and they got all one thing in common.

They all need a lot of main memory for displaying 3d models. I have a 3d model with 30MB (uncompressed, obj format) that needs about 400-500MB main memory.

But Java3D doesnt consume that much memory, it needs only 150MB. I thought it was because of the single side drawn vertices but now that i draw them double sided it still doesnt use more than 160MB? How come?