Skip to main content

Creating objects/shapes within Virtual Universe

3 replies [Last post]
adamtdisplay

I've embarked upon building an application that will be able to test the shadowing of building sand their impact. I realise there are already pieces of software, like Ecotect, which currently has the ability to undertake this analysis however i want to customise the results, enabling me to produce architectural designs almost instantaneously based on the analytical results.
I have created the standard Virtual Universe however wanted to add the facility to draw basic 3d objects (such as blocks- to resemble buildings) directly into the virtual universe whilst i am running the application. Similar to applications such as Google Sketchup. Could someone either point me in the right direction or even better offer some code.

Thanks

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
interactivemesh

Hi,

does my reply in this thread

http://www.java.net/forum/topic/javadesktop/java-desktop-technologies/ja...

point you in the right direction?

August

adamtdisplay

August,
It does a bit but how do i create the facility to create a cube by dragging the cursor or by entering coordinates into a field on the application. For example, 3dsMAX enables you to draw a 3d cube LIVE in the VU and the correct the dimensions and position using, what appears to be almost textfields?

Any ideas

Thanks

interactivemesh

The Java 3D utilities provide a cube model: 'com.sun.j3d.utils.geometry.Box'. But this can't be dynamically changed in size.

Alternatively, you have to create your own cube geometry based on 'javax.media.j3d.IndexedGeometryArray/GeometryArray' with GeometryArray.BY_REFERENCE vertex format. This allows to change width, height, and depth in real time.

See javadoc of GeometryArray, Java 3D example 'org.jdesktop.j3d.examples.geometry_by_ref.GeometryByReferenceTest', and 'HelloCubeUniverse.buildCubeShape()' in http://www.interactivemesh.org/testspace/download/FXHelloCube2.0.zip

August