Skip to main content

Cannot get Java 3D 1_5_2 working with Java 6 for 64 bit

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
3 replies [Last post]
jmcmanus

I cannot get Java 3d 1_5_2 for 64 bit to work with Java 6 for 64 bit in Windows 7 and eclipse Indigo on an Intel i7 chip. I have tried previous versions of both 3D and the runtime, and 32 bit versions of both, as well as the plug-in (using file merge and link approaches). Nothing seems to work. I have always just used the Java3d installer on my 32 bit machines with previous versions on Vista and XT with no problem. Anyone with ideas?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
aces

Make sure you have the 64bit binaries available in your path.

It is easy to miss the correct path for native code, as you use the same jars for both 32 and 64bit runtime.

jmcmanus

That looks like a promising route, but a bit beyond my experience.

I see Java3D under Java in C:\Program Files, but not under Java in C:\Program Files (x86). Should I copy that Java3D file to the latter location?

Since Java works fine except for Java 3d, can I assume the links to Java are OK?

The Path has links to something like PowerWindows in Windows System32, etc. but things are heavily coded in there, so I would not know what to do there.

What is my next step?

jmcmanus

Got it working!

I could not get the auto install of java3d 1-5-2 64amd to work (maybe because I am using an Intel i7?). As advised, I did a manual install of the same and set the CLASSPATH and PATH properly as per the unzip instructions. That alone still did not work. In desperation I finally imported the 3 bin jar files per project in Indigo (which did not work before the manual install). It finally worked! Apparently, both the import and proper manual install were necessary.

Hopefully, this will save Windows 7_64 users of Eclipse and Java3d some hassle.