Skip to main content

mlib_jai sources

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
4 replies [Last post]
lleland

Where are the sources for the mlib_jai_* libraries? If I have it right, they are platform ported versions of Sun's mediaLib library for Solaris, which was put into the public domain and is available at OpenSolaris.org. However, I can not find the sources of these JAI specific ports. Is there a reason why they are not included in this project? Can they be? I had an eye on creating a 64-bit Windows port.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
erunquist

I downloaded the sources from here:

http://dlc.sun.com/osol/devpro/downloads/current/

I haven't tried building it, so I don't know if everything is included. I've dug in the source just to see how things are done.

devpro-mlib-src-20081107.tar.bz2 contains implementations of native ops. For example, the "convolve" operation implementations are located at this path in the zip:

/usr/src/mlib/src/generic/stdc/image/spatial/mlib_ImageConv*.c

lleland

That's the download page you get from OpenSolaris.org that I mentioned in the OP. It only provides Solaris builds for different platforms.

It would seem that the JAI versions of mediaLib called mlib_jai_* were created by modifying and porting that source, but I'm just guessing here. What is needed are the actual sources and build files for the mlib_jai* libraries that are distributed by the JAI project. If I start from the old Solaris sources, I may not be including modifications made for the JAI versions.

erunquist

In the devpro-mlib-src archive there are folders for x86, sparc, and generic. I haven't studied it much, but it looks to me like there is more than just Solaris stuff in there.

/usr/src/mlib/src:

• generic
  • include
  • sparc
  • x86
lleland

erunquist wrote:
In the devpro-mlib-src archive there are folders for x86, sparc, and generic. I haven't studied it much, but it looks to me like there is more than just Solaris stuff in there.

<sigh>The x86 source files in the OpenSolaris.org distribution create mediaLib library files for the Solaris OS on an x86 hardware platform, not for the Windows OS on any platform. It creates *.so.2 files and not .dll files. Wrong OS, wrong library format.

However, all of that is besides the major point. Renaming the library files to "mlib_jai_*" implies that changes were made for the JAI envinronment. If I started again with the original Solaris sources, I would lose all of those JAI specific changes.

What is needed are the source and build files that will create the same mlib_jai_* libraries as are distributed by the JAI project on java.net. Since the original OpenSolaris mediaLib distribution is open-source, there should be no problem distributing the JAI mlib_jai_* source files with JAI. Without them, you can not properly build or evolve the JAI open-source project.