Skip to main content

XA transaction errors on non-XA connection pools?

5 replies [Last post]
ljnelson
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-04
Points: 0

I have a GlassFish server that is set up to use NON-XA data sources in its
connection pools.

The log for that domain (yes, that domain, no, I'm not mixing up domains
but good question :-)) contains various XA errors. Here's a short snippet:

Caused by: javax.transaction.xa.XAException:
com.sun.appserv.connectors.internal.api.PoolingException:
javax.resource.spi.LocalTransactionException: Connection not established
at
com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.handleResourceException(ConnectorXAResource.java:115)
at
com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.start(ConnectorXAResource.java:150)
at
com.sun.enterprise.transaction.JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.enlistResource(JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.java:378)

Given that XA is nowhere in evidence, I was wondering if there is some way
that GlassFish could be starting XA transactions anyway? At sea here.

Thanks,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
mvatkina
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-04
Points: 0

It might be just an internal wrapper.

-marina

On 12/21/12 2:20 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:
> I have a GlassFish server that is set up to use NON-XA data sources in
> its connection pools.
>
> The log for that domain (yes, that domain, no, I'm not mixing up
> domains but good question :-)) contains various XA errors. Here's a
> short snippet:
>
> Caused by: javax.transaction.xa.XAException:
> com.sun.appserv.connectors.internal.api.PoolingException:
> javax.resource.spi.LocalTransactionException: Connection not established
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.handleResourceException(ConnectorXAResource.java:115)
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.start(ConnectorXAResource.java:150)
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.transaction.JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.enlistResource(JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.java:378)
>
> Given that XA is nowhere in evidence, I was wondering if there is some
> way that GlassFish could be starting XA transactions anyway? At sea here.
>
> Thanks,
> Laird
>
> --
> http://about.me/lairdnelson

ljnelson
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-04
Points: 0

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Marina Vatkina
wrote:

> It might be just an internal wrapper.
>

I don't see any further root cause exceptions, however (the snippet I
quoted is the root-most exception). I'd expect if this were just a wrapper
the underlying exception SOMEWHERE would still show itself?

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

mvatkina
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-04
Points: 0

I meant that GF uses an XAResource internally even if the actual
resource (a delegate?) is not.

-marina
On 12/21/12 2:35 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Marina Vatkina
> > wrote:
>
> It might be just an internal wrapper.
>
>
> I don't see any further root cause exceptions, however (the snippet I
> quoted is the root-most exception). I'd expect if this were just a
> wrapper the underlying exception SOMEWHERE would still show itself?
>
> Best,
> Laird
>
> --
> http://about.me/lairdnelson

ljnelson
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-04
Points: 0

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Marina Vatkina > wrote:
>
>> It might be just an internal wrapper.
>>
>
> I don't see any further root cause exceptions, however (the snippet I
> quoted is the root-most exception). I'd expect if this were just a wrapper
> the underlying exception SOMEWHERE would still show itself?
>

Chalking this one up to gremlins; cannot reproduce manually. I'm
suspecting that a connection got interrupted somewhere and that this is the
root cause.

Since flushing the connection pool is a known bug (i.e. there's no way from
the admin console to flush a pool without causing an error; see
http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-14130 for an example; this is true
even of our initialized pools on 3.1.2.2), can I somehow tell GlassFish to
dump and refill the pool at the first sign of connection trouble? I didn't
see anything obvious in
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24928/jdbc.htm#gharo.

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

mvatkina
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-04
Points: 0

And try this - remove/rename jts.jar -without it real XA transactions
are not supported.

On 12/21/12 2:30 PM, Marina Vatkina wrote:
> It might be just an internal wrapper.
>
> -marina
>
> On 12/21/12 2:20 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:
>> I have a GlassFish server that is set up to use NON-XA data sources
>> in its connection pools.
>>
>> The log for that domain (yes, that domain, no, I'm not mixing up
>> domains but good question :-)) contains various XA errors. Here's a
>> short snippet:
>>
>> Caused by: javax.transaction.xa.XAException:
>> com.sun.appserv.connectors.internal.api.PoolingException:
>> javax.resource.spi.LocalTransactionException: Connection not established
>> at
>> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.handleResourceException(ConnectorXAResource.java:115)
>> at
>> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.start(ConnectorXAResource.java:150)
>> at
>> com.sun.enterprise.transaction.JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.enlistResource(JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.java:378)
>>
>> Given that XA is nowhere in evidence, I was wondering if there is
>> some way that GlassFish could be starting XA transactions anyway? At
>> sea here.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Laird
>>
>> --
>> http://about.me/lairdnelson
>

petino
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-18
Points: 0

JMS?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:

> I have a GlassFish server that is set up to use NON-XA data sources in its
> connection pools.
>
> The log for that domain (yes, that domain, no, I'm not mixing up domains
> but good question :-)) contains various XA errors. Here's a short snippet:
>
> Caused by: javax.transaction.xa.XAException:
> com.sun.appserv.connectors.internal.api.PoolingException:
> javax.resource.spi.LocalTransactionException: Connection not established
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.handleResourceException(ConnectorXAResource.java:115)
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.resource.ConnectorXAResource.start(ConnectorXAResource.java:150)
> at
> com.sun.enterprise.transaction.JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.enlistResource(JavaEETransactionManagerSimplified.java:378)
>
> Given that XA is nowhere in evidence, I was wondering if there is some way
> that GlassFish could be starting XA transactions anyway? At sea here.
>
> Thanks,
> Laird
>
> --
> http://about.me/lairdnelson
>

--
Peter