Skip to main content

It keeps going, and going...

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
No replies
whartung

So an old client I did some work for sent an email about a question they had with the system.

I hadn't done anything with these folks for 2.5 years.

After trying to dredge up and remember connect information, credentials, etc., I logged in to their system to take a look and see what's what.

One of the things I noted was the uptime.

10:05am up 457 days 12:12, 2 users, load average: 0.60, 0.51, 0.52

This is a Solaris 10 container running Glassfish 2, Java 5, Postgres 8.2.

It's used everyday, but isn't necessarily heavily loaded. But that doesn't make it any less important as a line of business application. It exercises everything -- Database, JMS, mail, EJBs, JPA, SOAP Web Services. It's not a simple WAR running a blog.

That 457 days is the uptime of the OS, and the application, everything. It probably restarted due to a server move or a power cycle or an OS update.

It hums along with little more than a daily backup and daily work file and log cleanup process to keep things neat.

This is not news. We all know that Solaris, Java, Glassfish and Postgres are rocks and dependable out of the box.

But that's doesn't mean it's not exciting to see it in the wild. When you're used to front line development, where an application or app servers life span may well be measured in minutes, it's always nice to come back and see that, yea, this stuff just works, and you can count on it.

And it just stands as a testament to the hard work that the Glassfish team (along with the other projects) do.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

And say "Thanks".