Skip to main content

Improving startup time for java web application in glassfish 3.1

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
No replies
table1

I am trying to reduce the start up time of my web application deployed in glassfish 3.1.1 (build 12) application server. My web application is deployed as a war file containing multiple jar files for every module in the application. The jar files are located in the WEB-INF\lib directory.

On enabling detailed logs for glassfish, I saw that glassfish tries to search the class files in WEB-INF\classes and does not find it. Since there are more than 16K classes there is an error message for every class file.

|FINE   |org.apache.naming_.FileDirContext| 88|PWC4451: File cannot be read E:\glassfish3.1.1\glassfish\domains\domain1\applications\mywebapp\WEB-INF\classes\com.xxx.yyy.MyClass.class

I added a emtpy jar named all-jars.jar in WEB-INF\lib and it contains a MANIFEST.MF file with a classpath attribute. The Class-Path attribute looks as below.

Class-Path: WEB-INF/lib/a.jar WEB-INF/lib/b.jar WEB-INF/lib/c.jar

Adding this jar didn't help though.

How can I tell glassfish to not search in WEB-INF/classes directory? Also any other suggestions to reduce the start up time?