Skip to main content

Glassfish 3.1.1 updatetool fails on Solaris 10

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
5 replies [Last post]
robbob

I attempted to upgrade our Glassfish 3.1.1 instances to 3.1.2 via the updatetool in the /bin directory.

I ran into the following exception when running the updatetool command from the command line on Solaris 10. We're on JDK 1.6

Would you like to install Update Tool now (y/n): y

Proxy: Using system proxy settings.
Install image: /nas/adobewo/adak/glassfish311
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.System.console()Ljava/io/Console;
at com.sun.pkg.bootstrap.BootstrapProgressTracker.(BootstrapProgressTracker.java:68)
at com.sun.pkg.bootstrap.Bootstrap._main(Bootstrap.java:231)
at com.sun.pkg.bootstrap.Bootstrap._main(Bootstrap.java:163)
at com.sun.pkg.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:113)

Any help/clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rob

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
jfdipol

Rob,

It looks to me like the updatetool wrapper script is picking up the wrong Java -- like maybe 1.5 instead of 1.6. Try setting JAVA_HOME to point to your JDK 1.6 installation and then re-run "updatetool".

FYI, I see there is a bug in the updatetool wrapper script where it only checks for 1.5 or newer. It should be checking for 1.6 or newer. I'll create a bug on that.

Joe

Robert_Fidler

Hello,

I am running GF 3.1.2 on a Solaris 10 x86 box and am trying to run the ./glassfish3/bin/updatetool. But I am getting the exact same error message as Rob. I have tried setting my JDK in the PATH and in JAVA_HOME, but I still get the same errors.

I've tried it with 1.6.0_31 and 1.7.0_04.

Rob

robbob

Joe,

Thanks! That seems to have taken care of the issue on our Solaris 10 box. We also have Glassfish 3.1.1 running on a Solaris 8 box which seems to be encountering a different error after pointing it at a JDK 1.6 installation.

bash-2.03# ./updatetool
WX import error. Verify the WX widgets are in the PYTHONPATH.
The following can be reported to GlassFish Update Tool 2.3.5 Development Team .

Traceback (innermost last):
File "/nas/adobewo/unga/glassfish311/updatetool/vendor-packages/updatetool/common/boot.py", line 283, in init_app_locale
import wx
File "wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
File "wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
ImportError: ld.so.1: /nas/adobewo/unga/glassfish311/updatetool/bin/../../pkg/python2.4-minimal/bin/python: fatal: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory

Thanks,
-Rob

jfdipol

Rob,

Bless you for being a long time Solaris user! Unfortunately updatetool does not support running on Solaris 8. If you want you can try using the pkg(1) CLI directly -- it's not supported on Solaris 8 either, but it has a better chance of working than updatetool. Backup your installation first in case things explode (a good idea anyway), then try running this:

$ ./pkg refresh --full
$ ./pkg list

If that works then you can update to 3.1.2 by doing:

$ ./pkg image-update

Your other option on the Solaris 8 box is to do a side-by-side upgrade by doing a new clean install of GlassFish 3.1.2 and copying your domains over. This is covered in the GlassFish upgrade guide.

robbob

LOL, thanks for the help. We're planning on replacing this server within the next few months, so we could probably hold off until we get new hardware and an OS upgrade.