Skip to main content

Beginner needs help. Unable to trace the source of Error

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
2 replies [Last post]
asif_malick

Hello to all,

Can anyone please help me.
I'm using Oracle 10G and Glassfish Server.

NetBeans-->Services tab-->Databases-->Drivers-->Oracle Thin-->Connect Using-->New Connection Wizard-->Test Connection.

I get the following error whenever I click the "Test Connection" button in the New Connection Wizard :--

***Cannot establish a connection to jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:XE using oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver (Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor )***

Is this due to the port 8080 conflict between Glassfish and Oracle 10G?
I tried Google.I'm a new bee.Google wasn't of much help.
Error 12505 seems to be a large subset of errors.
Unable to figure the exact error in my case.

Awaiting for your kind suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

AttachmentSize
new-conection1a.jpg82.31 KB

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
ejroberts

Are you using the correct URL format?

jdbc:oracle:thin:@//localhost:1521/XE

This error should not be anything to do with a clash in ports, at least on 8080, as the JDBC Driver will be attempting to connect on the 1521 port you specified.

asif_malick

Thanks for your kind response.

I think its URL Format is correct: "jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:XE" .This is what the wizard shows as the JDBC URL.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
But I'm little confused with the default SID value i.e. XE.
When I login to the sqlplus and execute the command "show parameter instance_name" the value it returns is "orcl".

I tried doing the following,and either way the connection succeeded(I had to unlock both the scott and system account before doing it):

1).Changed SID to orcl --> username: scott --> password:***** --> Clicked "Test Connection".

!Connection Succeeded.

2).Changed SID to orcl --> username: system --> password:***** --> Clicked "Test Connection".

!Connection Succeeded.

After I clicked "Next" it showed SYSTEM as the selected schema(Though it showed a drop down list of several schemas,I didn't change it).
Clicked Next--> It said"Override the default name for the connection..... Input Connection name: jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:orcl [system on Default schema] "

Same way,for scott it showed : "Input Connection name: jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:orcl [scott on Default schema]"

Which schema should I select from the drop down menu ?? Will overriding the default schema cause any problem?