Skip to main content

Authentication failed on administration console but ok in asadmin

3 replies [Last post]
AlexTsang

Hi. I installed GlassFish 4 (open source edition) on my computer. After I have imported my own SSL certificates (for my website) and re-generated bundled certificates (i.e. the 2 certificates with alias s1as and glassfish-instance), I found that I cannot login administration console. However, with the same username and password, I can use asadmin (the command-line tool) to manage my GlassFish. I tried to change administrator password with "asadmin change-admin-password" but it didn't solve the issue.

Do you have experience on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
mcroft

When you say you can't log in, do you mean that the log in attempt fails or that the log in page doesn't load?

Did the admin console work properly before you imported the SSL certificates?

Check the server log in the /logs directory for any errors when you try to access the admin console.

Mike Croft
C2B2 Expert Support

AlexTsang

The login page loaded successfully, but it told me that that authentication failed even I typed the correct username and password (I know the username and password are correct because I can use them to manage GlassFish using asadmin tool).

The admin console worked fine before I imported the SSL certificates.

I couldn't find any special log entries except this:

[javax.enterprise.system.tools.deployment.common] [tid: _ThreadID=167 _ThreadName=Thread-10] [timeMillis: 1375962486106] [levelValue: 800] [[
visiting unvisited references]]

I'm not sure if it helps.

mcroft

Unfortunately I can't really do much more than speculate without more data. I would suspect that regenerating bundled certificates may have had something to do with the error.

There's no guarantee that this would work, but something you *could* try is to test with a fresh keystore:

(1) Download a fresh copy of Glassfish
(2) Set the user name and password the same as your current copy
(3) Copy the ".../domain1/config/keystore.jks" file from the fresh installation into your current one (make sure you rename the old file so you don't overwrite it and lose it!)

If that works, then that's a pretty strong confirmation that your keystore is broken. If it doesn't work, then we still don't know! :-)

(Do beware of doing this on any critical/production/etc environment though, I'm assuming that this is your personal development installation and if something breaks, then it isn't the end of the world!)

Mike Croft
C2B2 Expert Support