Skip to main content

Unable to invalidate session when application contains @Stateful @ViewScoped beans

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
1 reply [Last post]
pdhaigh

Hi,

I have found that in my application I am unable to invalidate the session - either manually by called session.invalidate(), or automatically by allowing the session to timeout.

The error I see is:

22:33:59,183 ERROR stderr (default task-9) Exception in thread "default task-9" org.jboss.weld.exceptions.IllegalArgumentException: WELD-000085: Cannot destroy null instance of Session bean class uk.co.app.utilities.EntityManagerProducer with qualifiers [@Any @Default; local interfaces are EntityManagerProducer
22:33:59,183 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at org.jboss.weld.bean.SessionBean.destroy(SessionBean.java:156)
22:33:59,183 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at com.sun.faces.application.view.ViewScopeContextManager.destroyBeans(ViewScopeContextManager.java:161)
22:33:59,184 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at com.sun.faces.application.view.ViewScopeContextManager.sessionDestroyed(ViewScopeContextManager.java:290)
22:33:59,184 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at com.sun.faces.application.view.ViewScopeManager.sessionDestroyed(ViewScopeManager.java:349)
22:33:59,184 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at com.sun.faces.application.WebappLifecycleListener.sessionDestroyed(WebappLifecycleListener.java:181)
22:33:59,185 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener.sessionDestroyed(ConfigureListener.java:368)
22:33:59,185 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at io.undertow.servlet.core.ApplicationListeners.sessionDestroyed(ApplicationListeners.java:264)
22:33:59,185 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at io.undertow.servlet.core.SessionListenerBridge.sessionDestroyed(SessionListenerBridge.java:48)
22:33:59,185 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at io.undertow.server.session.SessionListeners.sessionDestroyed(SessionListeners.java:38)
22:33:59,186 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at io.undertow.server.session.InMemorySessionManager$SessionImpl.invalidate(InMemorySessionManager.java:376)
22:33:59,186 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at io.undertow.server.session.InMemorySessionManager$SessionImpl$1$1.run(InMemorySessionManager.java:228)
22:33:59,186 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
22:33:59,186 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
22:33:59,187 ERROR stderr (default task-9) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

The error is thrown from within the below Weld method:
@Override
public void destroy(T instance, CreationalContext creationalContext) {
if (instance == null) {
throw BeanLogger.LOG.cannotDestroyNullBean(this);
}
if (!(instance instanceof EnterpriseBeanInstance)) {
throw BeanLogger.LOG.cannotDestroyEnterpriseBeanNotCreated(instance);
}
EnterpriseBeanInstance enterpriseBeanInstance = (EnterpriseBeanInstance) instance;
enterpriseBeanInstance.destroy(Marker.INSTANCE, this, creationalContext);
creationalContext.release();
}

The class referenced in the stack trace is:

import javax.faces.view.ViewScoped;
import javax.persistence.EntityManager;
import javax.persistence.PersistenceContext;
import javax.persistence.PersistenceContextType;
import org.hibernate.FlushMode;
import org.hibernate.Session;

@ViewScoped
@Stateful
public class EntityManagerProducer implements Serializable
{

}

If I change this (and other classes) to:

import javax.enterprise.context.SessionScoped;
import javax.persistence.EntityManager;
import javax.persistence.PersistenceContext;
import javax.persistence.PersistenceContextType;
import org.hibernate.FlushMode;
import org.hibernate.Session;

@SessionScoped
@Stateful
public class EntityManagerProducer implements Serializable
{

}

Then the session can be invalidated. Further, if I remove the @Stateful annotation, the session can be invalidated. The combination of @Stateful and @ViewScoped appears to cause the issue.

Is the combination of @Stateful and @ViewScoped prohibited? My understanding was that the new JSF ViewScoped annotation can be used interchangably with javax.enterprise.context scopes? Aside from this issue, the combination seems to be working completely fine..

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
edburns

It's possible this bug is related to https://java.net/jira/browse/JAVASERVERFACES-3191 "Serialization and CDI Viewscope".

This is fixed but I'm waiting for all the hudson jobs to clear out before marking it fixed.

It will be in the next release of Mojarra, 2.2.7.

Ed Burns