Skip to main content

JSF: f:ajax "execute" not working properly when adding "render" targeting another "selectOneMenu"

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
2 replies [Last post]
JeanMeurtrier

Hello Glassfish users,
Mentally replace [] by <>, because tags are interpreted in the forum.
This code is working fine, i.e. setCurrentComponent() is called when an item is selected:
[h:body]
[h:form]
[h:selectOneMenu value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.currentComponent}"]
[f:ajax event="change" execute="@this"/]
[f:selectItems value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.componentNames}"/]
[/h:selectOneMenu]
[/h:form]
[/h:body]
Now I want a second menu content to be updated when an item is selected in the first one. But when I add the render attribute with the ID of the second menu, setCurrentComponent() is not called anymore!

[h:selectOneMenu value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.currentComponent}"]
[f:ajax event="change" execute="@this" render="modelList"/]
[h:selectOneMenu id="modelList" value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.currentModel}"]
[f:selectItems value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.modelNames}"/]
And if I take the second menu out of the form, the modelList ID is not found (even if ID's are DOM scoped):
[f:ajax event="change" execute="@this" render="modelList"/]

[h:selectOneMenu id="modelList" value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.currentModel}"]
[f:selectItems value="#{monitoringAdministrationController.modelNames}"/]

Does someone have an explanation concerning this strange behaviour?
Thanks a lot!

JM

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
JeanMeurtrier

Sorry, the spaces between the lines have completely changed once the message has been posted...

JM

JeanMeurtrier

Hello all,

I have solved my problem. My "currentComponent" that is the value of the "selectOneMenu" was not set to an existing value of the list. I was aware it may be a problem but I didn't suspect it was indirectly the source of this strange behaviour. I don't still understand why it works with only one selectOneMenu but not with two. Even if I'm not blocked anymore, I remain interested in an explanation. ;-)

Regards,

JM