Skip to main content

Problem with Java

Please note these forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at
2 replies [Last post]

I have be developing my Java3D project for a couple of years now.

I have a problem with PickCylinderRay where the getClosest does not in fact always return the closest triangle.

I have posted a number of questions on the Java3d forum but it seems no one else is using it.

Is Java3D dead?

What is now the preferred multi-platform compiled tech?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I still havent been able to find a solution to why pickfast.PickTool and pickFast.PickIntersection skips the closest triangle in favour of the 2nd closest triangle.

The phenomenon mostly occurs when a vertice is within the PickCylinderRay.

Why no help? Is everyone dead? I would really like some support for Java3D PLEASE!!!

If Java3D is dead, can someone suggest some other multi-platform compiled tech.

Many thanks and Please, please please help...

regarding the question, if java3d is still alive I recently got the following answer from Ken Mc Neill, one of the java3d administrators:

"Java 3D is not being actively developed anymore, but the 1.5.2 branch is stable and mature."

This leaves me with the question if it still makes sense to do anything with java3d. Do you know of any alternatives which are more supported?

It is surprising that there seems to be not one favoured library since both 3D modelling and java are very mainstream technologies and for many areas java should be fast enough to be chosen instead of C/C++.

Any opinions?