Skip to main content

An elementary question - I hope

1 reply [Last post]
janpla

This is a question about Java EE - I use NetBeans 7 and Glassfish; I have used NetBeans to create a very simple web application that lists rows from a database table. All this works and I think I understand the principles, except for one thing. But first a little bit of detail - I have a list of user data, list.xhtml. If I want to edit one of the users, I can click on a link that is defined like this:

... <h:commandLink action="#{usersController.prepareEdit}" value="#{bundle.ListUsersEditLink}"/>

This will call a method 'UsersController.prepareEdit()' - when it returns, another form, edit.xhtml, is shown; it contains elements like:

... <h:inputText id="name" value="#{usersController.selected.name}" title="#{bundle.EditUsersTitle_name}" required="true" requiredMessage="#{bundle.EditUsersRequiredMessage_name}"/>

This displays the data contained in 'UsersController.selected.name' which seems reasonable; except - there is no element called 'selected' in this class as far as I can see. So where does it come from?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
OneJumpedUp

Hey
I'm guessing your UsersController class looks something like this:

public class UsersController 
{
    private List<PersonBean> User;
    private static PersonBean selected;
    public UsersController()
    {
    }

public List<PersonBean> getUser()
    {
        return User;
    }

public void setUser(List<PersonBean> User)
    {
        this.User = User;
    }

public static PersonBean getSelected()
    {
        return selected;
    }

public static void setSelected(PersonBean selected)
    {
        UsersController.selected = selected;
    }
}

Note mine is based on PersonBean, same thing.
When you set the value of your inputText element to the bean, it looks for a
function called getSelected(), see code above, because it is of type PersonBean, it can then call getFirstName(), the cool and confusing bit is that it strips the get/set part off and converts the first letter to lowercase.

<h:inputText id="name" value="#{usersController.selected.firstName}"
             title="Some Name" required="true"
             requiredMessage="Some Msg"/>