Skip to main content

DeployJava.js conflict with IE9 Add-on Security

Please note these java.net forums are being decommissioned and use the new and improved forums at https://community.oracle.com/community/java.
4 replies [Last post]
lyndonr

When I go to my applet page in IE9 (win7) I get both the Javascript pop-up saying:

"You need the latest Java(TM) Runtime Environment. Would you like to update now?"

AND the IE add-on security dialog saying:

"This webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'deployJava1.dll' from 'Oracle America, Inc.'".

Annoyingly, I can't click on IE's "Allow" button because the Javascript message takes precedence. If I click "Cancel" in Javascript, the deploy script still redirects me to the java install page... allowing the add-on there is useless for use on my site.

So I'm stuck. I could of course go into IE9's add on manager and edit the Deployment Toolkit to "Allow on all sites", but having every user of my site do that is ridiculous.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: technically I'm able to get it to work by doing the following: clicking ok to the javascript pop up, takes me to the java install page, at this point I click "allow" to IE's add-on allowed site (this ads "java.com" as an allowed website to run the add on). THEN I go back to my applet page, get the same two pop-ups, click on the javascript pop up again, takes me to java.com install page, click IE's allow add on and MYSTERIOUSLY it adds the previous page URL (my applet site) to the allowed sites in the deploy toolkit add on allowed sites. at that point it works on my site. phew, that tired me out even typing it.

AttachmentSize
conflict.jpg19.04 KB

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
tonya_rae_moore
Administrator

Java.net is a community board for people who use Java programming. It sounds like you are looking for tech support for an Internet Explorer issue. I would recommend you contact help for IE, or, barring that, possibly tech support at Java.com

Tonya Moore
Assistant Community Manager

lyndonr

Understood and thank you Tonya.

Just seemed like the Java community would be a good resource to consult when their main deploy script is in direct conflict with the most used browser around. True this is not a Java programming question per se, but something I thought would be of keen interest to anyone expecting to deliver their applet via the internet like me.

I've noticed that on Oracle's own website when they use the DeployJava.js script, they skip the alert pop-up, and take you directly to the download page to allow the site specific exception for 'deployJava1.dll' in IE (which of course is confusing seeing as how Java is installed and what really needs to be done is to allow that exception for that particular site).

Seems the script needs to be modified to check for IE's extra security. Does Oracle update their script often?

maybe if I cut back on the functions I'm calling in the script (namely deployJava.versionCheck), it might not trigger IE's security warning.

lyndonr

Understood and thank you Tonya.

Just seemed like the Java community would be a good resource to consult when their main deploy script is in direct conflict with the most used browser around. True this is not a Java programming question per se, but something I thought would be of keen interest to anyone expecting to deliver their applet via the internet like me.

I've noticed that on Oracle's own website when they use the DeployJava.js script, they skip the alert pop-up, and take you directly to the download page to allow the site specific exception for 'deployJava1.dll' in IE (which of course is confusing seeing as how Java is installed and what really needs to be done is to allow that exception for that particular site).

Seems the script needs to be modified to check for IE's extra security. Does Oracle update their script often?

maybe if I cut back on the functions I'm calling in the script (namely deployJava.versionCheck), it might not trigger IE's security warning.

lyndonr

Should this be moved to a different board perhaps?

Is there a board for DeployJava.js specific issues?

thanks!