Skip to main content

How to move a project out of 'staging'?

7 replies [Last post]
zonski

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but I haven't found any better places for it. I created a Java.net project about a month ago called 'Swing Style'. I can log into it and use it at this URL: http://java.net/projects/swing-style but no one else can. It says it is a sub-project of 'Java.net Staging' so I assume that is why it is not visible to anyone else. What is the process for moving my project out of staging, or at least getting it visible so I can get some initial feedback on it? Thanks for your help, zonski

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
tonya_r_colombe

UPDATE: Sonya is looking for a one business day turnaround on projects requests, and I'm on board. So, I'll get these processed much more quickly from here on out.

tonya_r_colombe

Hey, gang! We have a leads call once every week (or, on rare occasions, every other week when Sonya/leads are at conferences), which is when projects are brought up for adoption. I go through all the projects requesting to be moved right before that call.

I haven't had anyone in more than a hurry than that yet, but I'm always happy to accommodate any reasonable request any time I'm made aware of your needs.

We will most likely have a more automated and faster system in place at some point, but, as I'm sure you know, we've got a lot on our plate right now. For the moment, almost everything is done by hand. But, we're definitely paying attention to all feedback and suggestions, and thank you for taking the time to communicate with us.

sonyabarry
Administrator

Send an email to communitymanager@java.net and we'll get it moved to the incubator.

I'm working on updating the outgoing email that you get at project creation to explain the process better. An explanation of our project lifecycle and community workflow is here: http://about.java.net/workflow.html

zonski

Thanks for the help, I have emailed the request to the community manager as suggested.

Updating the email sent out would be great.

A suggested addition: add a clearly visible comment on the project main page indicating that it is in staging. e.g. "This project is in STAGING and is not visible to the public, see the _workflow_ to learn more".

This would be handy for people new to the process, which would generally be someone who have just created a new project.

Cheers,
zonski

tbee

+1 on the clearly visible comment
I've created my project and blogged and twittered it to the world, when I found out that no one can reach it. I've emailed the community manager 12 hours ago and I'm waiting another 12 before moving my project back over to sourceforge.

zonski

I sent my request through last Thursday and haven't got a reply yet, so I suspect you won't get the turn-around you are after.

Does anyone know how long the wait is/should be? While I understand the need to have a filtering process on new projects to avoid the build up of dead wood, if you're going to have this manual workflow system it does need to be actively maintained.

It would seem like a simpler system all round (better for project owners and less admin hassles for the java.net administrators) to just have projects go straight into the incubator area. Everyone can then see the project, allowing project owners to gage initial community feedback, but it is not officially 'released', and is therefore not clutering up the main site.

Any projects that are in the incubator section could then just be automatically sent an email if no one has logged into it for a certain amount of time (say 2 weeks). If the owner does not respond to the email (by logging in) within two more weeks (say) the project is then archived (or deleted) and removed from the incubator listing as well. This would be a fairly easy, safe, automated way to clear out dead wood, without the clunky manual approval process you have now.
Less work, better results, simpler flow - seems like an easy win.

Cheers,

zonski

sonyabarry
Administrator

We are working on a much more automated process right now, and expect to launch it just before JavaOne in October.