Skip to main content

Is the TextDisplay an Indicator?

4 replies [Last post]
howardteece

So a front panel can have Indicators [Message, Record] and a TextDisplay.

The TextDisplay and any Indicators are optional. EC-1470 added a method to see if the TextDisplay was fitted which would have a knock on effect if someone tried to reserve the TextDisplay via the Indicator APIs.

But in the file fp.properties you've added text as a valid indicator. I don't think it is an Indicator at all.
I would expect the Platform to say 'Yes, I have a TextDisplay' but that's not an Indicator you would set m_textDisplayPresent as true, but not add it to the m_supportedIndicators collection.

So simply put, fp.properties shouldn't have text as an indicator and some of the logic for processing the presence and access of the TextDisplay need addressing.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
greg80303

As you already noted by referencing OCAP_RI-636, the presence of "text" in fp.properties is an implementation detail of the stack that allows our porting layer to be a little more simple.

It is possible that TextDisplay could implement indicator -- I don't see an obvious problem that would prevent us from doing that. Seems like the existing APIs are segregated enough to allow that.

G

howardteece

Ah, that looks like this one: http://java.net/jira/browse/OCAP_RI-636

But the question is, could TextDisplay implement Indicator so you can easily - like without having to remember all the other parameters - change the brightness.

sarendt

I'll have a look and get back to you...

greg80303

Seems like it probably could implement Indicator. I didn't see anything obvious in the spec that would make it difficult to incorporate this change.

Feel free to request a specification change, should the desire be strong enough :)

G

amirn

I disagree with the need for a specification change.
The specification is very clear that "text" or any other type of
non standard indicators can be returned as a supported indicator by the implementation.
Please engage the standard committee and specification experts on this.

Thanks,
A.